SCUP Privacy Notice
The Society for College and University Planning (SCUP) is committed to being a responsible steward of your personal information and complying with all applicable laws and regulations covering data protection. We secure your personal information with appropriate administrative, technical, and physical safeguards.
SCUP does not collect personal information from general visitors to our website.
When you create a SCUP account, you will be asked for first name, last name, and email address. Additional information may be collected when you interact with us in other ways. The types of information collected varies based on the specific interaction and is necessary and pertinent to that interaction.
SCUP may also obtain personal information from public sources, such as a staff directory on your organization’s website, or a LinkedIn profile you have created.
SCUP uses your personal information to:
- respond to inquiries and requests
- communicate transactional information, such as receipts for products and services or event registration information
- process and relay information about memberships
- provide members’ access to member-only content and website features
- provide marketing and advertising about products, events, and services
- use for internal recordkeeping and research
- analyze composition of the SCUP market to help in creating learning content and engagement opportunities
SCUP tracks anonymous, aggregated information about opening and click-through responses to bulk email messages to help us better tailor communications to the needs and interests of the individuals in the SCUP community.
Optional demographic information collected, such as planning type and birth year range, are used in aggregate to analyze composition of the SCUP community.
SCUP does not sell or rent lists of our members or nonmember customers.
You can access and update or correct your personal contact information by visiting your My SCUP page on our website (log-in required). You can choose with whom you allow your information to be shared and which SCUP email communications you wish to receive within Communication Preferences in My SCUP.
You may change any of these choices at any time:
- SCUP’s searchable online membership directory is provided to help members connect with colleagues in the SCUP member community.
- The directory is visible only to SCUP members (log-in required).
- You can choose whether or not to be included in the directory.
Online Registration Lists
- A list of registered attendees for each SCUP event is posted on our website to help attendees connect with each other before, during, and after the event.
- The list is visible only to registered attendees of the same event (log-in required).
- You can choose whether or not to be included in the online registration list. You have the option to change this choice each time you register for an event, and at any time in Communication Preferences.
Partners and Affiliates
- You can choose whether SCUP shares your name with Partners and Affiliates. Examples might include another higher ed association with whom SCUP has a partnership agreement, or a magazine featuring SCUP content that would like to supply members with a complimentary copy.
Exhibitors and Sponsors
- When you register for a SCUP annual or regional conference, you can choose whether SCUP shares your contact information with Exhibitors and Sponsors. Contact information includes first and last name, title, organization, postal address, and email address. Exhibitors and Sponsors are instructed that the information is event-specific and not to be downloaded into a database for marketing efforts.
- As outlined in the SCUP Culture Statement, unsolicited commercial emails have proven to be unpopular among members. If you receive an email that you feel is inappropriate, please forward a copy to email@example.com.
Emails from SCUP
- Within Communication Preferences in My SCUP, you can select the type of email content you want to receive from SCUP. Options include the weekly e-newsletter, emails about the annual conference, event in your own or other SCUP regions, workshops, awards, and exhibiting.
- Member and nonmember customers who opt out of receiving any or all SCUP email communications will still receive emails required to process a registration, purchase, or other business transaction.
- Members who opt out of receiving any or all SCUP email communications will still receive emails about SCUP elections, membership renewals, or other business transaction.
SCUP takes appropriate administrative, technical, and physical measures to protect your personal information from unauthorized access or disclosure.
- SCUP may share information with trusted service providers authorized to carry out work on our behalf, such as providing website or database support.
- SCUP does not store credit card information. Credit card transactions are handled through secure, PCI compliant, processors. SCUP has no visibility of credit card information for online purchases. Credit card information provided to SCUP via email, phone, or postal mail is promptly destroyed after transaction entry.
- SCUP’s website may contain links to other websites. SCUP is not responsible for content or privacy practices of these other sites.
This website is hosted from the United States. Users in other countries consent to the transfer of their data to the US for processing, storage, and use.
Privacy Notice Updates
SCUP complies with laws and regulations pertaining to protection of personal data and choice including the United States’ CAN-SPAM Act, Canada’s Anti-Spam Law (CASL), and the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Our privacy notice will be updated and posted on our website as new regulations take effect.
SCUP takes your privacy seriously and is committed to protecting it. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Effective Date: May 24, 2018