Leadership responsibility in designing complex urban design and planning projects and managing both the client relationship (in collaboration with Managing Principal and Design Principal) and project success, as measured in client satisfaction, work quality, profitability, and fostering team professionalism, collaboration and morale. Manages all phases of project including budgeting, scheduling, planning and design, with authority to direct and monitor all activities.
Our ideal candidate will possess:
• Design acumen and capability
• Strong leadership and management skills
• Excellent presentation and client communication ability
• Team oriented interpersonal skills
• Technical prowess
Essential Job Functions:
• Demonstrates advanced understanding and application of analyses, design and report preparation for urban design/planning, including fundamental theories, design processes, entitlements processes and documents, software technology, delivery methods, etc.
• Understands and communicates overall urban design concepts, objectives and critical issues and applies knowledge to tasks and assignments.
• Has a clear understanding of overall urban design concepts, objectives, guidelines, policies and critical issues to successfully manage the project process and ensure high-quality project delivery
• Develops design sketches, renderings, models and graphics for presentation materials.
• Understands and responds to the technical implications of urban design decisions.
• Promotes firm and project goals of excellence in design, execution, sustainability, and resiliency
• Understands and has experience with all aspects and phases of the design and production process.
• Is proficient in writing planning documents
• Is articulate and effective as a public speaker and leads project-related pubic discussions and presentations.
• Has good people skills that enables an environment of collaboration and creative thinking
• Develops and prepares design documents including guidelines, reports, comprehensive planning documents and final presentation materials.
• Evaluates and integrates policy requirements and infrastructure systems into the overall project documents.
• Prepares mock-ups of comprehensive plan packages and design guidelines.
• Implements zoning analyses and reviews of jurisdictional requirements and aligns these with project requirements.
• Coordinates all aspects of project deliverables.
• Leads project-related pubic discussions and presentations.
• Takes responsibility for leading the project team (client, consultants and Perkins+Will team) through a well-coordinated, collaborative and highly motivated project process.
• Assures a positive team work atmosphere and assists in supporting the development and retention of quality staff including training/development/mentoring.
• Defines, monitors and maintains control of the scope of work and services for the project including project schedule and work plan both to inform the client team and clearly direct the project team
• Prepares and negotiates client and consultant proposals, fees, schedules, and contracts.
• Primary coordinator of all communication between the client and Perkins + Will, (including Managing Principal, Design Principal, and Technical Principal) insuring timely resolution of client concerns and management of business issues including contracts and additional services.
• Responsible for and is dedicated to the complete integration and excellence in design and technical aspects of the project.
• Responsible for the clear and timely communication of information to the project team and to insure compliance with the project team’s goals.
• Monitors the performance of the project team and approach, to assure that the Firm’s quality standards and design goals are being met.
• Establishes, maintains, and documents regular project related meetings including client, internal team and consultants meetings.
• Initiates, documents, and maintains project set-up, including contract review, project process and filing procedures, work authorizations, assisting accounting in timely distribution of invoices.
• Responsible for meeting or exceeding the financial goals established for the project and providing timely and appropriate information to Project Accountant to initiate invoicing.
• Direct contact responsibility with clients and associated consultants, to insure timely collections and management of delinquent accounts receivables.
• Insures the orderly and complete preparation, distribution, and retention of all project written records.
• Considers risk management by monitoring client issues and project issues in a timely manner to minimize liability.
• Responsible for the orderly close out of projects including contractual requirements.
• Follows through with post contract administration requirements (i.e., follow-up phone calls to insure client satisfaction and source additional marketing leads, complete final historical database, etc.).
• Coordinates staffing resources with office Operations Director.
• Actively leads marketing opportunities and facilitates multi-discipline/office collaboration within firm
• Develops and maintains successful client relationships for repeat business.
• Proactively develops new client relationship and business leads.
or email: Nicole Howe, HR Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Professional Degree in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Urban Design or Planning
• 15 years experience
• Advanced knowledge and understanding of urban design principles and theory associated with project design and execution
• Understands project financial management and contract administration, including project coordination, budgeting, scheduling and contract negotiations
• Project management software skills
• Experience working with clients and consultants
• Knowledge of GIS, CAD, 3D computer modeling and graphic design (e.g., Rhino, Grasshopper, AutoCAD, SketchUp, InDesign, and Photoshop)
• Ability to direct, mentor and coordinate work efforts of project team
• Collaborative and professional work ethic
• Strong interpersonal skills, verbal, listening and written including client presentation skills
• LEED AP or within 6 months of hire
• AIA, or AICP Certification
Qualified and interested candidates should submit a resume and work samples. Include your resume and a compact, representative sample of your work (no larger than 4MB).