Reference Number: 1500937
California State University, Dominguez Hills, was established in 1960 and is one of the 23 campuses that comprise The California State University system. CSU Dominguez Hills is an urban, comprehensive public university that serves a culturally rich, diverse student body of over 12,500 students at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Located on a 346-acre site in the South Bay portion of the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area, CSU Dominguez Hills has a highly pluralistic student body, which includes a significant number of non-traditional, working adult students as well as approximately 2,000 students enrolled in distance learning programs statewide. The University, with its five Academic Colleges, has more than 300 full-time faculty members and is situated in an area characterized by an extraordinary heterogeneity of people, and an extensive array of high technology industries and professional services.
Conditions of Employment:
Possession of a valid Driver’s License is required. Employees in this position will be enrolled in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Government Employer Pull Notice Program which confirms possession of a valid driver’s license and reflects driving record.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
This is a full-time, permanent (probationary) position.
Special Working Conditions: Work on evenings and weekends.
Department: College of Arts and Humanities
The College of Arts and Humanities is the center for artistic, humanities, and social scientific activities at the university. The College contributes in a major way to the development of Basic Skills, General Education, Teacher Preparation and prominent majors and minors and encompasses the disciplines of Africana Studies, Anthropology, Art, Asian Pacific Studies, Communication, Dance, Digital Media Arts, English, History, Humanities, Interdisciplinary Studies, Labor Studies, Modern Languages, Music, Negotiation, Conflict Resolution and Peace-building, Philosophy, Theatre Arts, Women Studies. With this exciting array of programs, students are presented with many choices that will shape their professional and personal lives forever.
Major Job Duties:
Under general direction of the Dean, College of Arts and Humanities; the Theatre Maintenance and Safety Technician serves as operational lead for the University Theatre, Edison Theater and Recital Hall. Responsible for the coordination and oversight of nighttime/weekend (with some day time hours) production and safety matters for events held in the University Theater, Edison Theater and Recital Hall. Working in collaboration with the departments technical staff and other production related staff and University safety personnel, the Theatre Maintenance and Safety Technician is part of a collaborative team charged with overseeing the safe and sustainable use of technical equipment and spaces for all University Theater, Edison Theater and Recital Hall events.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
– Comprehensive knowledge of all aspects of event and production, including, but not limited to: methods and problems in multiple production.
– Production goals, themes, operations, and procedures necessary in order to translate design specifications, blueprints or drawings into costume, scene, lighting or sound production and effects.
– Thorough knowledge, including the principles, practices and techniques of lighting, sound, counterweight, and other stage systems and equipment.
– Directing and stage management, including the management of staging needs for productions requiring numerous costume and set changes.
– Comprehensive knowledge of various historical periods for design and construction of materials and effects related to applicable production specialty.
– Thorough and in-depth knowledge of the technical aspects of construction, implementation, and operation of staging materials and effects in various production specialties.
– Comprehensive knowledge of safety requirements and standards related to production support specialty and stage operations; ability to train others in safety measures and ensure compliance with codes and regulations.
– Thorough working knowledge of carpentry.
– Thorough knowledge of basic electrical theory and usage related to audio and lighting effects and working of lighting, sound and stage effect techniques, including the ability to improvise lighting, sound, stage property, and other stage effects.
– Knowledge of costume techniques.
– Oversee and coordinate the use of multiple facilities
– Oversee production support projects, breaking segments into working unit that coincide with production needs; plan and provide lead work direction effectively and efficiently.
– Work on complex projects and designs and to work with difficult materials and equipment, including to select and use the most appropriate materials to meet production needs.
– Select and use complex specialized software programs.
– Support classroom instruction by performing classroom demonstrations related to production.
Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate and work effectively with individuals at all levels within and outside the university.
Valid Driver’s License
The Entertainment Technician Certification Program (ETCP) Rigging , Entertainment Electrician, Current OSHA 10 and Current OSHA 30.
Experience and Education:
Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
Master’s degree in Technical Theatre, Production Management and/or Theater Management is preferred.
Three years technical theatre, production management, or equivalent professional.
Experience in Sustainability Standards or equivalent professional experience is strongly preferred.