Amherst College invites applications for the Senior Capital Projects Manager position. The Senior Capital Projects Manager is a full time, year-round position, job group and level PT-4. Given Amherst’s distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community with regard to race, ethnicity, ability, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
Assume leadership of project management for large and/or complex capital projects with significant levels of autonomy in most project management matters. Guide processes through excellent judgment and depth of experience balancing College priorities for the best overall outcome. Responsible for project initiation through completion of construction and occupancy. Serve as primary project liaison and manager and the project’s point of contact for College administration through early phases of project conceptualization, consultant selection processes, early budgeting, and scheduling. Point of contact with all stake-holders on campus.
The primary representative for the college when working with designers, consultants, vendors, contractors, legal counsel, accountants, and local and state officials. Manage contractual term negotiation process, construction bidding process, and ensure the performance of contractors and consultants. Negotiate change orders with contractors, monitor implications with project schedule, andmanage consultants’ construction administration process and percentage of diverse work hours for compliance with contract specifications and project close-out process.
The Senior Capital Projects Manager takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participate in the College’s efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Summary of Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Strategic Planning – Provide analysis and recommendations re: strategic aspects associated with assigned projects for collaborative strategic decision-making process with supervisor. Guide other College constituencies in their roles relative to the projects, helping others to act strategically for the best overall success.
• Facilitate Programming and Design Processes – Take on leadership role, leading administration, campus community and specific stakeholders throughout the planning and design phases of projects to ensure appropriate involvement into programming and design processes, managing cost analyses, supporting the establishment of contracts with consultants and vendors,facilitating communication between all parties involved, documenting and maintaining records of documentation of issues, analyses, and decisions. Collaborate with/report to supervisor throughout. Support the planning and design process through analysis utilizing professional experience in the Architecture/Engineering/Construction (AEC) industry.
• Oversee Construction Administration – Serve as primary project liaison and manager for major/complex capital projects. Ensure the performance of contractors, consultants, etc. through constant comparison of work to contractual obligation. Identify potential cost-saving opportunities throughout the construction process as well as appropriate additional work that is in the best interest of the College. Manage the Request for Information process, ensuring a timely response from all parties involved. Work with contractors, consultants, etc. to meet diversity goals. Oversee change orders with contractors, monitor implications with the project schedule, analyze for compliance with contract specifications. Also, manage the inconveniences associated with construction to the best overall benefit of the College. Oversee and process all required forms and documentation required to close out projects both fiscally and physically.
• Budget Development and Management – Develop project budgets including construction and soft costs, manage estimating processes with consultants and construction managers. Populate and maintain job cost accounting (jca) system for each assigned project maintaining real-time analyses projecting estimate-at-completion in an ongoing manner. Develop and manage cost-containment strategies including suggested value- engineering, scope alteration as necessary to maintain budget. Report status regularly.
• Schedule and Resource Management Process – Schedule and manage the design and construction process with both College personnel and outsourced resources to the projects. Monitor the process of design and decision-making, watching for schedule, cost implications as well as decisions that may be counter to College-wide standards or goals. Manage the involvement of various college constituents as required including communication of processes to ensure the appropriate level of involvement and timely interactions to maintain the overall schedule. Track multiple project schedules.
• Bidding, Procurement and Contracting – Manage construction bidding processes for consistent distribution of information and College goals, including diversity goals. Performs analysis of contractor bids for capital projects. Coordinate, review and oversee contracting for construction and materials/equipment procurement. Legal term review, negotiation, and documentation working with legal counsel.
• Bachelor degree in A/E/C area
• 10 years minimum experience managing building capital projects
• 3 years minimum experience managing large and/or complex building capital projects
• Strong written and verbal communication, problem solving skills
• Experience with or commitment to working with a diverse community
• An acceptable criminal offender records information (CORI) check
• Masters degree in A/E/C area; project management certificate; building efficiency-related certification
• Project management experience as owner’s representative role
• Experience in higher education projects
Interestedcandidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college’s community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college’s scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/rb9tzb99pqsc7smp