Reference Number: 1495824
California State University, Dominguez Hills, was established in 1960 and is one of the 23 campuses that comprise The California State University system. CSU Dominguez Hills is an urban, comprehensive public university that serves a culturally rich, diverse student body of over 12,500 students at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Located on a 346-acre site in the South Bay portion of the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area, CSU Dominguez Hills has a highly pluralistic student body, which includes a significant number of non-traditional, working adult students as well as approximately 2,000 students enrolled in distance learning programs statewide. The University, with its five Academic Colleges, has more than 300 full-time faculty members and is situated in an area characterized by an extraordinary heterogeneity of people, and an extensive array of high technology industries and professional services.
Major Job Duties:
Under the general supervision of the Police Lieutenant, the Police Officer performs patrol duties of University property and grounds, by vehicle, foot, or bicycle to protect the campus property, facilitates, and visiting public against criminal activity; enforces laws and traffic regulations; issues citations and apprehends criminal offenders; conducts crowd control during major events; investigates and prepares reports on crimes; provides general information and assistance to the public; appears in court as necessary; administers first aid; and other law enforcement duties as assigned.
– Working knowledge of law enforcement methods and procedures.
– Working knowledge of current criminal codes and laws.
– Ability to quickly learn and apply campus rules and regulations related to the work performed.
– Assess a law enforcement or other hazardous situations and determine the appropriate course of action.
– Prepare clear and concise procedural reports.
– Skill in interacting and resolving a variety of sensitive situations.
– Ability to think and act effectively in emergency and sensitive situations.
– Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
– Ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with the campus community, general public, state and local public safety agencies and others.
– Ability to interact with culturally diverse groups and individuals.
Valid Drivers License.
Completion certificate from a valid P.O.S.T police academy.
Experience and Education:
Must have completed a Peace Officers Standards and and Training (P.O.S.T) certified police academy. High School diploma or equivalency with an overall score of 45 and a standard score of not less than 35 on any section of the test or have attained a score on a written test equivalent to that attained by the average high school graduate.
Intermediate or advanced P.O.S.T. certificate or Bachelor of Arts/Sciences degree is preferred.
Special minimum qualifications for Police Officers. Pass a medical examination, physical agility test, written examination, psychological examination, a background check requiring fingerprinting, and pass a drug test. Be a U. S. citizen or permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship prior to submitting an application for this position. Be at least 21 years of age at time of appointment. Not have a domestic violence felony conviction. Be of good moral character. Be able to read and write at the level necessary to perform the job of a Police Officer as determined by job related examinations.
Experience as a full time Police Officer with a basic P.O.S.T. certification is preferred.