||Under the general direction of the Assistant Director of Operations for Facility Services, the HVAC Supervisor is a member of the Facility Services Supervisory Team. The Supervisor works closely with the other Facility Services Departments (Utility Services, Landscape and Outdoor Services, Electrical, Plumbing, General Maintenance, Carpentry, Building Access Services, Fire Life Safety, and Paint)
This position exists to aid and advise the Assistant Director of Operations for Facility Services in fulfilling the Facility Services’ mission to the University by providing superior customer service to the Campus community, exercising fiscal responsibility, reporting on leading edge technology, practicing sustainable maintenance and operations methods, and empowering the HVAC workforce to reach their full potential as NAU employees.
* Supervises the installation, repair, overhaul and maintenance of HVAC systems.
* Provide management, day to day direction, and leadership to the HVAC department.
* Prepares sketches of proposed work and assists in the design and specifications of planned jobs or contracts.
* Establishes, assigns and adjusts work methods and procedures to meet schedules using knowledge of capacities and capabilities of personnel and equipment.
* Initiates measures to improve methods, equipment performance and quality of work.
* Ensures budgeting guidelines are met; prioritizes expenditures to stay within budget; assists in the preparation of capital and operations budgets.
* Interprets policies to assigned personnel and enforces safety regulations and adherence to proper codes and standards.
* Recommends or initiates action involving promotions, transfers, disciplinary action and motivation of employees.
* Maintains records and files, including the approval of time cards and absences, and submits as required.
* Inspects work in process to insure its completion within allotted time limits and for acceptable quality standards.
* Coordinates with suppliers, contractors, engineers and others concerning equipment operations or maintenance.
* Plan and develop employee work schedules and equipment usage schedules to ensure best use of resources available.
* Interprets university and departmental policies to assigned personnel and enforces regulations and adherence to proper codes and standards.
* Informs, trains, and instructs employees of new work methods or procedures, changes in safety regulations, work policies and fire safety codes.
* Maintain effective communication with all customers across campus, and foster a team relationship that allows for collaborative problem solving and process improvement.
* Responsible for initiating measures to improve customer service.
* Responsible for employee development through the development of individualized goals, and the creation of training plans to ensure that employees achieve the established goals. Goals will be developed during annual appraisal period, and quarterly meetings will be conducted with each employee.
* Possess a detailed understanding of the industry staffing guidelines and can develop reports of current staffing levels.
* Ensure that OSHA and general safety regulations are maintained within the work unit. Work with the Risk Management department to develop staff safety training.
* Responsible for overseeing/monitoring departmental purchases, ensuring a sufficient inventory of materials, supplies, equipment are maintained and available as needed.
* Effectively delegate responsibility to staff.
* Take a proactive role in promoting and supporting Facility Services mission and vision.
* Knowledge and skills of industry best practices as well as participation in industry professional organizations.
* Actively maintain cutting edge knowledge of industry practices pertaining to higher education and continually suggest process improvements based on industry changes.
* Dedication to the development of sustainable operations and maintenance practices.
* Maintains payroll, work order, material, equipment and other and Fire Life Safety records and submits reports as required.
* Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees, or makes related recommendations that are given particular weight.
* Meets with Deans, Directors, and Department Heads to evaluate their project requirements.
* Other duties as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* (45%) Planning and Scheduling: Provide supervision, day to day direction, and leadership to the HVAC Department.
* (10%) Coordinating and Communicating: Effectively delegate responsibility to staff, defining all expectations while maintaining effective communication with all customers across campus, fostering a team relationship that allows for collaborative problem solving and process improvement.
* (10%) Customer Service: Provide superior customer service to the campus community by performing various HVAC maintenance and operations functions.
* (15%) Field Operations: Take an active role in directing, inspecting and maintaining systems at the building level.
* (15%) Budgetary, Policies and Procedures: Responsible for assisting in the development of capital and operational budgets for the HVAC department. Responsible to ensure budget guidelines are met with management of the HVAC budget. Responsible for monitoring departmental purchases, ensuring a sufficient inventory of materials, supplies, equipment are maintained and available as needed for both regular work activities and possible emergencies.
* (5%) Employee Training and Development: Responsible for employee development through the development of individualized goals, and the creation of training plans to ensure that employees achieve the established goals. Goals will be developed during annual appraisal period, and quarterly meetings will be conducted with each employee.