Reference Number: 1638112
California State University, Dominguez Hills
California State University Dominguez Hills was established in 1960 and is one of the 23 campuses that comprise The California State University System. CSU Dominguez Hills is an urban, comprehensive public university that serves a culturally rich, diverse student body of approximately 14,000 students at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Located on a 346-acre site in the South Bay portion of the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area, CSU Dominguez Hills has a highly pluralistic student body, which includes a significant number of non-traditional, working adult students as well as approximately 2,000 students enrolled in distance learning programs statewide. The University, with its five Academic Colleges, has more than 300 full- time faculty members and is situated in an area characterized by an extraordinary heterogeneity of people, and an extensive array of high technology industries and professional services.
Under the general supervision of the Manager of Central Plant Operations, the Facilities Control Specialist is responsible for oversight of the CSUDH Building Automation System. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, daily oversight of the environmental conditions controlled by the control systems in Central Plant, ensuring effective and efficient functioning of the HVAC and lighting systems campus-wide. Incumbent will ensure compliance and possess knowledge of all University policies, State and Federal Standards and Central Plant management policies relating to environment control and the other utility systems under the control of the Building Automation System. In addition to performing daily analysis of the environmental quality of the campus buildings, the Facilities Control Specialist will assist in the development and implementation of new policies, procedures, programs, and control strategies to enhance the efficiency, effectiveness, and customer service to the campus community. Responsibilities will also include tracking and monitoring indoor air quality issues, and fiscal issues relative to utilities. The incumbent will interface effectively with Central Plant employees, CSUDH employees, and campus visitors, and provide a variety of goal-oriented support functions for the Central Plant department as assigned by the Manager of Central Plant.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
– Thorough understanding of electric, electronic, pneumatic and digitally controlled building automation systems, including a thorough knowledge of assigned building automation systems.
– Work requires thorough knowledge of the theory and operation of major types of refrigeration and air conditioning equipment and of the materials, equipment and techniques used in the repair and maintenance of such equipment
– Working knowledge of electrical voltage, plumbing refrigeration, electrical and plumbing codes, thermodynamics and automated energy/environmental management systems.
– Use judgment and discretion in determining the methods and priorities of work orders
– Perform skilled electrical and plumbing work
– Diagnose and repair major malfunctions in the complex multi-zone air conditioning systems; – Devise and control air distribution efficiently with maximum comfort; and diagnose
– Repair the full range of refrigeration equipment including centrifugal and absorber equipment and/or screw, scroll and reciprocating refrigeration equipment.
– Use of the building automation system’s programming features to design, modify and implement programs to achieve facilities management’s goals,
– Perform remote and hands-on troubleshooting, intervention and repair
Certification: Valid CA Drivers License
Experience and Education:
High school diploma or equivalent or supplemental education or vocational course work in a field related to the position duties and responsibilities is preferred. Possession of Metasys Extended Architecture certificate is a plus.
Equivalent to four years of journey-level experience diagnosing, repairing, and maintaining large, complex, and sophisticated heating, ventilation, refrigeration and air conditioning, and water treatment systems; installing, inspecting, servicing, repairing, replacing, and calibrating building automation and control systems; and using programming features of building automation systems.