Our history and geography are unlike any other university in the region. Nowhere else can students ride an Arabian horse, practice on a Steinway piano, collaborate on a new product, and help build a rocket. This is a polytechnic education. This is Cal Poly Pomona.
Executive Director, Lanterman Development (Land Development)
Job No: 510031
Work Type: Management (MPP)
The Executive Director, Lanterman Development reports to the Vice President for Administrative Affairs/CFO and is a key member of the leadership team responsible for providing comprehensive, strategic support for the various projects and operations associated with the master plan development, negotiations, and subsequent management of ground leases and maintenance agreements for the Lanterman site and its relationship to the Cal Poly Pomona (CPP) campus.
Serves as a primary campus point of contact and provides leadership for the Lanterman Development for the campus and the public/private partnership developer. The incumbent will oversee the development of needed policies and procedures related to the partnership during the development and build-out phase as well as the operational phase after build-out is complete. Establishes and maintains a positive relationship on operational matters with the P3 master developer.
Participates in the development of strategies and negotiations with the development team including the negotiation of terms on long-term ground lease agreements, operating agreements and/or maintenance agreements and other related contractual documents needed for public/private partnerships for the Lanterman Development. Prepares and/or participates in the preparation of contract documents and development agreements.
Maintains transparent communication. Prepares and makes presentations to university groups, local civic and government organizations and community groups over the course of development project to explain and/or defend proposals. Responds to requests for information, assistance from colleagues, professional or industry associations, etc.
Prepares, reviews and comments on all materials for presentation to campus leadership and the CSU Board of Trustees on the Lanterman Development.
Manages the ground lease contracts activities and ensures timely receipt of lease payments for the various leases; performs financial and performance audits as appropriate. Ensures necessary processes are in place, including budgeting, to maintain the facilities and infrastructure according to the terms of the contract and over the life of the ground leases.
Consults with the Office of General Counsel, including outside counsel, on the Lanterman Development as appropriate. Assists in resolving issues associated with the preparation of public/private development agreements, ground leases, and related contracts and documents and coordinates with stakeholders including the developer and Office of General Counsel.
Participates in and leads the development of the site master plan; oversees the review of any land-use planning, land assembly and appraisals for the site.
Conducts research and analysis relative to development of the site, financing and development models and other factors that guide decision-making process. Prepares reports and recommendations.
In collaboration with the AVP for Government and External Affairs and the Senior AVP for Facilities Planning & Management , coordinate on matters of local, state and federal government agencies regarding the development, maintenance and operations of the site.
• Master’s Degree in real estate development, urban planning, business administration or a relavant field, Jurisprudence Doctorate or bachelor’s degree with equivalent experience in a leadership position.
• At least 10 years of increasingly responsible senior-level managerial experience developing and executing real estate development projects in a large, complex organization.
• Advanced knowledge of relevant laws, codes, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements, and the business impact upon the organization.
• Excellent oral communication skills are necessary.
• Excellent written communication skills are necessary including the ability to communicate strategic plans and initiatives to various stakeholders including boards, committees, external groups, executive leaders, faculty, staff and students.
• Must have strong verbal and written language skills for: Communicating policy and procedures in written or presentation format; Interacting with many different professional levels, both within CSU and external to CSU; working with all levels of management, as this position will often be called upon as a resource. Position will communicate regularly with campus Vice Presidents and cabinet members. Handling sensitive issues, confidential material, and/or situations effectively.
• Strong ability to quickly adapt to change and demonstrate flexibility to a variety of schedules and hours to meet business needs.
• Must have ability to understand problems/issues, then work to facilitate resolution to those problems, while providing a good basis of understanding of the solution.
• Solid experience reviewing and analyzing financial plans related to real estate development.
• Advanced understanding of the decision-making processes and structure of large, complex, multi-campus educational institutions.
• Creative thinking combined with the talent to implement entrepreneurial concepts.
• Ability to effectively lead the development and implementation of public/private development strategy and policy in a higher education setting.
• Ability to facilitate and negotiate activities among multiple cross-campus constituent groups.
• Ability to reach out to and serve as a point of contact with the surrounding community of the Pomona Valley/East San Gabriel Valley and with relevant community organizations.
• Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to assist others in resolution of conflicts.
• Ability to understand and evaluate trends in the evolution of development practices.
• Ability to effectively analyze both qualitative and quantitative information to support policy development and decision-making.
• Ability to define strategic initiatives and to oversee the development of long-term plans and proposals.
• Ability to define, organize, and manage a large-scale development project.
• Knowledge and understanding of the real estate development concepts and practices.
• Must be proficient in writing, with experience in contracts, policy and training materials, as the job entails creating and maintenance of contract, policy and procedure documents.
• Experience with public speaking.
• Understanding of principles of land use planning and urban design.
• Practical knowledge and understanding of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
• Preferred qualifications.
• Experience with negotiating and preparing P3 development agreements.
• Knowledge of construction industry and public works contract law, rules regulations, in addition to CSU contract law. Demonstrated ability in translating new contract law into policy and procedure.
• Knowledge of California Building Code requirements.
• Experience with integrating land use and transportation plans.
• Understanding of sustainable development and building practice.
• Familiarity with the field of historic preservation
• Experience with the disposition of historic artifacts and other materials of historical and/or anthropological value
• Ability to deal effectively with culturally sensitive issues including disability
• Familiarity with the policies and procedures for dealing with the accidental discovery of human remains
• COVID-19 Vaccination CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who physically access campus facilities or programs to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, which includes obtaining a COVID-19 booster dose, or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/11030468/latest.
• Out of State WorkThe California State University (CSU) system is a network of twenty-three public universities providing access to a quality education through the support of California taxpayers. Part of CSU’s mission is to prepare educated, responsible individuals to contribute to California’s schools, economy, culture, and future. As an agency of the State of California, the CSU’s business operations almost exclusively reside within California. The CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside California. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/v2/policy/10899725/latest/.
• Background Check Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. Cal Poly Pomona will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current Cal Poly Pomona employee who was conditionally offered the position. See policy at https://www.cpp.edu/eoda/employee-labor/documents/employment-policies/hr2017-17.pdf.
• I-9 Cal Poly Pomona hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. See Form I-9 Acceptable Documents at https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-acceptable-documents.
• Conflict of Interest This position is a “designated position” in the California State University’s Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. See policy at https://www.calstate.edu/csu-system/faculty-staff/systemwide-human-resources/conflict-of-interest/.
• Outside Employment Disclosure Prospective Executive and Management Plan Personnel employees must disclose all current outside employment at the time of hire as a precondition of hire and at the following times after hire: annually in July, within 30 days of accepting outside employment, and upon their manager’s request. See policy at https://www.cpp.edu/eoda/employee-labor/documents/employment-policies/hr2016-06.pdf.
• Smoking Cal Poly Pomona is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/6591951/latest/.
• Clery Act In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal Poly Pomona Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://www.cpp.edu/campus-safety-plan.shtml.
• Reasonable Accommodation We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact the ADA Coordinator by email at mailto:ADACoordinator@cpp.edu. More information is available at: https://www.cpp.edu/eoda/employee-labor/access-accommodations/index.shtml.
• EEO Cal Poly Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. More information is available at: https://www.cpp.edu/eoda/employee-labor/documents/aa-eeo-doc/policy-statement_2022-aap-for-california-state-polytechnic-university-pomona_confidential_20220127.pdf.
Advertised: March 29, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open Until Filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2980577
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.