Stony Brook University (SBU) seeks an exceptional leader with senior-level management experience to join the senior management team as the Executive Director for Parking & Transportation.
Located in Stony Brook, New York, Stony Brook University, widely regarded as a State University of New York (SUNY) flagship, was established in 1957 as a college for the preparation of secondary school teachers of mathematics and science. The first campus was located in Oyster Bay, Long Island, on the grounds of a former Gold Coast estate. In 1962, a new campus was built near the historic village of Stony Brook on land donated by local philanthropist Ward Melville.
Since then, Stony Brook University has evolved into one of the nation’s important centers of learning and scholarship – carrying out the mandate given by the State Board of Regents in 1960 to become a university that would “stand with the finest in the country.” SBU is a member of the elite Association of American Universities representing leading research universities and was recently ranked third in the nation for best ‘total-package college’ by Ladders for its low cost and great track record for graduate job prospects and earnings.
Located 60 miles east of Manhattan and 60 miles west of Montauk Point, Stony Brook University is one of four research-intensive campuses within the State University of New York (SUNY) system. Situated on 1,454 wooded acres, the campus encompasses 12 schools and colleges; a Research and Development Park; world-class athletics facilities, including a 10,000-seat stadium and a 4,160-seat arena; and Stony Brook Medicine, Long Island’s premier academic medical center. Also part of the University is a teaching and research campus in Southampton, New York, which is home to graduate arts and medical professional degree programs and the Marine Sciences Center. Additionally, SBU is part of the management team of the prestigious Brookhaven National Laboratory.
Stony Brook University includes:
• 37,000 students, faculty, and staff
• 213 buildings
• 950 laboratories
• 2,500 restrooms
• 25 miles of underground high voltage cable
• 166 transformers and 1,000 utility manholes
• 16 miles of roadways
• Over 10,000 student beds on campus
Facilities & Services
The Facilities & Services Division provides the essential services for building, operating, and maintaining Stony Brook University on its three campuses: Main Campus, Stony Brook Southampton, and the Research and Development (R&D) Park.
The three current Departments under the Facilities & Services Division are Campus Planning, Design & Construction (CPDC), Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) and Campus Operations & Maintenance (COM).
The Executive Director for Parking & Transportation reports directly to the Vice President for Facilities and Services and is responsible for effectively leading and overseeing the operation of Transportation Services (including the Campus Shuttle / ADA paratransit operations), Parking Services, and the automotive repair shop. The Executive Director is also responsible for building and leading a team of 80+ dedicated professionals, which includes two (2) direct reports: the Director of Transportation and the Director of Parking, while managing a $15M annual budget. The Executive Director is charged with overseeing a safe and efficient parking and transportation system for a community of over 40,000 people who study, work, live, visit, and receive health care services across the Stony Brook University campuses. The Executive Director must develop, adapt, and implement policies and procedures to ensure a safe University environment, while enhancing customer service and operational efficiency. The Executive Director will also lead the development and construction of a unified Parking & Transportation organization across all Stony Brook campuses.
• Develop and implement a dynamic transportation plan to support the campus community and visitors to the University / Hospital.
• Lead the program using data analytics, as well as information gathered by surveys, transport systems, and parking systems.
• Evaluate existing programs and develop operational improvements with branding / marketing plans.
• Create an effective, safe, and reliable transit service for the West, East, South, R&D Park, and Southampton campuses.
• Develop additional transit services to meet the needs of the University, as required.
• Oversee the maintenance of SBU Transit Service bus stops, shelters, and related facility improvements as necessary for improving the passenger experience.
• Envision, research, and assist in implementing a forward-looking plan to update all shuttles and vehicles to electric or alternative-fueled.
• Research and propose strategies for managing the vehicle fleet and related parts / supplies including equipment acquisitions, vehicle maintenance, purchases and project management. Move towards centralized fleet management and / or oversight serving all departments.
• Guide University compliance with the state goals for greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and all other applicable laws, regulations, policies and guidelines relating to parking and transportation.
• Oversee the timely submission of all federal, state, and municipality regulatory reporting, including Energy Policy Act (EP Act) reports, Executive Orders, and Diesel Emissions Reduction Act (DERA) filings.
• With the input of the Director of Parking, strategize and execute policies for maximizing University / Medical parking lot / garage utilization to include evaluation and implementation of zoning, strategies, expansion, and parking rules and regulations.
• Investigate strategies for Transportation Demand Management (TDM), including carpooling, ridesharing, and mass transit maximization to reduce traffic and parking congestion on campus.
• Provide final departmental review and approval of traffic fine policies and offer feedback on such policies to University Police.
• Participate and serve as the departmental lead in collective bargaining unit negotiations to determine parking garage fees, potential revenue structures, and event management opportunities.
• Represent the University during meetings with various campus groups.
• Lead parking advisory groups and policy committees.
• Oversee the operation of all parking garages, which includes ensuring garage and facilities maintenance staffing is appropriately accounted for and effectively managed.
• With the Director of Parking, ensure all garage revenues are collected, held in accordance to University policy, and duly reconciled.
• Create actionable plans to automate the operations of all parking as able.
• As the final departmental reviewer, assign, approve, and manage special event parking requests.
• With the Director of Transportation, lead the operation of the automotive repair facility, which provides vehicle repair and maintenance services for University vehicles and grounds equipment.
• Design and guide the implementation of operational strategies, processes, and enhancements to maintain and improve vehicle maintenance services to the University, including a new operational and / or work order system.
• Oversee State Research IFR budgets and vehicle acquisitions.
• Oversee departmental RFPs for contractual services.
• Drive department area grants and aid in order to assist in financing department / University initiatives.
• Oversee the process that ensures all traffic, vehicular, parking, and transit signage are effective, clear, clean, in suitable working condition, and are updated in compliance with New York State Policy 584.
• Responsible for departmental compliance with human resources documentation, including the drafting and issuing of performance programs, evaluations, counseling documents, notice of discipline documents, position descriptions, and memorandums.
• Ensure student communication, involvement, feedback, and participation via student projects, feedback and/or advisory groups.
• Develop and maintain strategic relationships with other University stakeholders to aid in systems development and deployment to improve department efficiencies, communications, customer service levels, and University productivity.
• Bachelor’s Degree (foreign equivalent or higher) in Business, Engineering, Transportation Management, or a related field.
• Ten (10) years of senior management experience in comprehensive facilities operations, transportation management, and / or parking operations services including budget development and management, contract negotiation, and supervision.
• Self-starter who will willingly claim ownership of the Parking & Transportation program, while keeping an eye towards progressive change and improvement.
• Selfless service mentality and customer focus to enhance the Stony Brook campus experience.
• Strategic management skills with the ability to work with diverse groups of people.
• Experience in a large, multi-site organization.
• Ability to collaborate with other agencies and units in the development and implementation of plans and programs.
• Experience in formulating and presenting plans and updates to senior management.
• Experience in data-driven decision making through the use of metrics and analytics (e.g., Tableau).
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Proficiency in job-related computing applications including Microsoft Office Suite.
• M.B.A. or Master’s degree (foreign equivalent or higher) in a related field.
• Direct experience in parking and transportation services within a higher education or healthcare environment.
• Parking garage management experience with proficiency in parking systems and data management.
• Experience working with Transportation Demand Management software applications, garage access control systems, parking enforcement software, transportation and scheduling software (e.g., Smart Transit), fuel station software (e.g., Gasboy), parking permit distribution and tracking application systems.
• Experience working with an Accredited Parking Organization (APO) through the International Parking and Mobility Institute.
*As evidenced by an attached resume.
• Stony Brook University Official Website: https://www.stonybrook.edu/
• Stony Brook University Facilities & Services Webpage: https://stonybrook.edu/facilities
About the Search:
Stony Brook University is conducting a national search with the assistance of Helbling & Associates (www.helblingsearch.com), an executive search firm specializing in areas of facilities management, construction, engineering, and real estate development.
Please Submit Applications or Nominations to
Helbling & Associates, Inc.
8000 Brooktree Road, Suite 100
Wexford, PA 15090
Lee Grandovic, Regional Manager, New York City
Please visit Helbling & Associates’ Candidates Page for more information.
Stony Brook is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.