Reference Number: 3175
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU) is an 1890 land-grant institution dedicated to the advancement of knowledge, resolution of complex issues, and the empowerment of citizens and communities. The University provides a student-centered environment consistent with its core values. The faculty is committed to educating students at the undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, and professional levels, preparing graduates to apply their knowledge, critical thinking skills, and creativity in their service to society. FAMU’s distinction as a doctoral/research institution will continue to provide mechanisms to address emerging issues through local and global partnerships. Expanding upon the University’s land-grant status, it will enhance the lives of constituents through innovative research, engaging cooperative extension, and public service. While the University continues its historic mission of educating African Americans, FAMU embraces persons of all races, ethnic origins, and nationalities as life-long members of the university community.
Reporting directly to the VP for Strategic Planning, Analysis, and Institutional Effectiveness (SPAIE), the Chief Risk Officer (CRO) will lead the evolution of the University’s Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) program through the development and deployment of risk management tools and practices. The CRO will initiate and manage the annual enterprise-wide risk assessment process resulting in the establishment and/or revision of Florida A&M University’s highest risks and opportunities that could impair and/or advance the achievement of the university’s mission, vision, strategic goals, and competitiveness. The CRO will provide leadership for the planning, development, and administration of all aspects of the University’s enterprise risk management (“ERM”) program. The CRO will act as an advisor to executive leadership. Additionally, the Chief Risk Officer (CRO) will be tasked with the following duties and responsibilities:
• Responsible and accountable to the President for overseeing the development, implementation, and fostering of a collaborative, campus-wide approach to ERM at the University.
• Responsible for development, oversight, and implementation of the ERM program consistent with Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission’s (COSO) Enterprise Risk Management: Integrated with Strategy and Performance framework, with advice from the University’s ERM Advisory Committee and direction of the Vice President for SPAIE.
• Responsible for the development, oversight, and implementation of core ERM tools (software) including risk identification, assessment of risk on the operations and mission, prioritization, development, and implementation of response to mitigation plans, monitoring, reporting templates, and communications tools.
• Through outreach, formal training, involvement in committees, and strong relationships educates the broader University community in risk management principles and techniques that promote the consistent use of risk management, ownership of risk as all levels of the institution, and fosters a risk-aware culture.
• Lead the annual and on-going assessment of the ERM framework working directly with risk owners to complete risk analysis and develop risk documentation and reporting mechanisms. Act as an advisor and partner to campus leaders.
• Responsible for the development and maintenance of strong consultative and collaborative relationships across all levels of the organization, especially with other risk assurance professionals; maintain confidentiality and trust-worthy work relationships with staff, faculty, management, and the University Board of Trustees (BOT).
• Lead projects to develop and execute risk optimization strategies for key strategic initiatives. Conduct custom strategic risk and opportunity assessments; maintain an ongoing awareness of emerging external and internal risks and opportunities; consult with subject matter experts (SMEs) as needed; report on those risks and/or opportunities; assist responsible officials to assess and respond to emerging risks. Identify and address gaps in the organization, recommend solutions, develop policies, and develop standard reporting mechanisms.
• Establish, oversee, and manage the Enterprise Risk Management Advisory Committee including the development of agenda, reports, and presentations. Consult with and assists Vice Presidents and Deans, Directors and other administrative and academic leaders to develop, maintain and report on a response plan for all risks and opportunities assigned to them to ensure effective risk management, policies, procedures, and controls.
• As the Responsible Official for the University’s Internal Controls and Enterprise Risk Management policy, oversee its development and approval by the President. Additionally, advise the BOT on updates to the BOT Internal Controls and Enterprise Risk Management Policy.
• Develop and submit risk information for review regularly to the Board Audit and Compliance Committee and the full BOT on changes in the University’s risk profile, risk tolerance, and risk capacity.
• Collaborates with University personnel to assist with the University’s Emergency Response planning.
• Staff, chair, or serve on University committees as requested. Represent the University to external parties as appropriate.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Auditing, Finance, Business Administration, Business Management, Risk Management, Policy, Educational Leadership, or a similar discipline.
• Individuals must have at the time of appointment, or obtain within six months of appointment, the COSO Enterprise Risk Management Certificate.
• Experience in partnering with an executive team
• Persuasive and Influential Communication abilities with high oral and written communication skills
• Membership in a professional risk management association
• Five or more years of higher education experience
• Strategic and Entrepreneurial Leadership skills
• Relationship Building and Collaborative skills
Applications can be submitted at http://www.famu.edu/index.cfm?hr&Careers@FAMU.