Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience.
Reference Number: 1423814
California State University, Dominguez Hills, was established in 1960 and is one of the 23 campuses that comprise The California State University system. CSU Dominguez Hills is an urban, comprehensive public university that serves a culturally rich, diverse student body of over 12,500 students at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Located on a 346-acre site in the South Bay portion of the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area, CSU Dominguez Hills has a highly pluralistic student body, which includes a significant number of non-traditional, working adult students as well as approximately 2,000 students enrolled in distance learning programs statewide. The University, with its five Academic Colleges, has more than 300 full-time faculty members and is situated in an area characterized by an extraordinary heterogeneity of people, and an extensive array of high technology industries and professional services.
This is a full-time management (MPP) position. MPP employees serve at the pleasure of the campus President. MPPs do not serve a probationary period and never receive permanent status.
This position is a “designated position” in the California State University’s Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Department: Environmental Health and Safety
Environmental Health and Safety is responsible for ensuring a safe workplace and healthy environment for all faculty, students and staff.
Major Job Duties:
Under the general direction of the Director of Risk Management and Health and Safety, the Environmental Health and Safety Manager develops and implements comprehensive environmental health and safety (EHS) programs and ensures a safe and healthy campus environment and compliance with relevant regulations and statues. Major areas of focus include: campus occupational health and safety programs, including injury and illness prevention; hazard and environmental protection, including hazardous material management; University training and communication; and supervision of the Chemical Hygiene Officer and Environmental Compliance Specialist.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
– Thorough knowledge of EHS related government regulations and nationally recognized standards
– Thorough knowledge of OSHA and Cal-OSHA procedures, reporting requirements, and forms
– Understand the fundamentals and principles of environmental health and safety and communicate on critical technical and administrative topics with all levels of the campus organization.
– Knowledge of the higher education environment and applicable EHS regulatory requirements.
– Working knowledge of OSHA, EDA, DEP requirements and safety procedures.
– Working knowledge of codes, standards and regulations related to hazardous materials management.
– Strong computer skills; detail-oriented; excellent time management skills and the ability to deliver work on assigned schedules.
– Excellent leadership skills
– Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with University constituents, governmental agencies, and campus visitors.
– Skill to engage with others and work collaboratively within a diverse, multicultural environment to make a positive impact on EHS performance and safety culture.
– Ability to lead, develop processes, and organize Environmental Health and Safety Programs.
– Ability to make decisions and act decisively and independently to resolve complex issues;
– Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
– Must demonstrate integrity and sound judgment
– Ability to communicate and work effectively with all levels in demanding situations.
– Demonstrated abilities in operational and personnel management
– Ability to write reports, business correspondence, procedure manuals, and EHS programs and training
Certification: Valid driver’s license
Experience and Education:
A bachelor’s degree in occupational safety and health, environmental or facilities engineering, industrial hygiene, or a related field from an accredited four year college or university or an equivalent combination of education/experience.
Five years of related professional experience and two years managerial experience in occupational or environmental health and safety is required.
Additional managerial or professional experience in higher education or similar complex institution is preferred.