Reference Number: 1796242
California State University, Dominguez Hills
California State University Dominguez Hills was established in 1960 and is one of the 23 campuses that comprise The California State University System. CSU Dominguez Hills is an urban, comprehensive public university that serves a culturally rich, diverse student body of approximately 14,000 students at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Located on a 346-acre site in the South Bay portion of the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area, CSU Dominguez Hills has a highly pluralistic student body, which includes a significant number of non-traditional, working adult students as well as approximately 2,000 students enrolled in distance learning programs statewide. The University, with its five Academic Colleges, has more than 300 full-time faculty members and is situated in an area characterized by an extraordinary heterogeneity of people, and an extensive array of high technology industries and professional services.
Under the general direction of the Chief of Police, the Emergency Preparedness Manager is responsible for the management, development, implementation, assessment and continuous improvement of a comprehensive emergency management program involving the disaster/emergency situations that could potentially affect the campus.
Leadership / Vision:
– Demonstrated commitment to CSUDH¿s mission and goals as a student-centered university dedicated to teaching excellence and active learning with a university first perspective and a customer focused strategy.
– Ability to establish a clear and understandable vision for the Emergency Management Unit, engage the university community in the implementation of the vision, and build the operational components to execute the vision
– Ability to lead and enable groups of people to face challenges and achieve results in complex conditions.
– A demonstrated commitment to inclusiveness and access in all areas of the university.
Management / Conflict Resolution / Problem Resolution / Initiative / Continuous Improvement:
– Successful experience managing a complex program.
– Experience building and managing an effective world-class team dedicated to organizational goals and high performance.
– Experience with directing, supervising, motivating and inspiring others; measuring the performance of people, teams and organizations, and assessing performance and progress.
– Ability to develop and support on-going learning and professional development for staff, managers and emerging leaders.
– Ability to lead courageously by addressing difficult issues.
– Ability to initiate and support innovation with creativity, openness to change, flexibility, responsiveness, and future focus.
Ability to apply quality management techniques of continuous improvement and employee involvement to assess and improve services, promote campus culture and build teams.
– Ability to identify current and future challenges and propose and implement effective solutions.
– Experience making effective decisions with sound analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus.
– Excellent oral and written communication skills.
– Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences. – Successful negotiation and persuasion skills.
Strategic planning / Goal Setting:
– Experience in strategically supporting growth and/or change.
– Experience creating and implementing long and short term goals.
– Experience in determining and coordinating resource allocations.
– Ability to collaborate with multiple entities to plan and accomplish the objectives set forth in the university’s strategic master plan, coordinating ongoing multiple large and complex projects from conception to completion in a centralized and highly regulated environment.
– Ability to find solutions that result in prudent decisions, to promote mutual satisfaction and positive action, and to develop imaginative approaches to achieve individual, unit and institutional strategic initiatives.
– Ability to apply forward-thinking and creative thought with high ethical standards to develop strategic vision.
Required certifications: Valid driver’s license and first aid/CPR certification or ability to obtain. Preferred certifications include ICS 100, 200, 300, 400 and IS (NIMS) 700, 800.
Experience and Education:
Bachelors degree in a physical science, health and safety, engineering, or emergency management/preparedness, Masters degree preferred.
Experience which has demonstrated acquisition and successful application of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
Five (5) to eight (8) years of professional experience in the development, implementation and/or evaluation of Emergency Management /