Reference Number: 1406
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
KPU offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers. KPU strives to implement initiatives that will attract, support, engage, and retain KPU’s people and create an environment where all employees see themselves as contributing to student learning.
As an integral member of the leadership team for the Campus and Community Planning (CCP) division, the Director, Planning, Development & Sustainability, is accountable for managing and facilitating campus plans, including the KPU2050 Official Campus Plan, campus sustainability, land use planning, land use policies and development approvals for projects that fall within CCP’s mandate. In addition, this position provides direct leadership and management responsibility for the Planning, Development and Sustainability Department.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Completion of an urban planning degree plus a minimum of ten (10) years of management experience in the discipline or the equivalent combination of education and experience; Master’s degree would be considered an asset.
• Candidate must be registered or eligible for membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners.
Ability to provide leadership and direction, analyze and communicate complex situations/issues and develop effective solutions through multi-stakeholder problem solving in order to lead change.
• An effective communicator that actively demonstrates good judgement, diplomacy and tact who is able to develop and impart the vision and strategy of KPU’s campus plans, including the KPU2050 Official Campus Plan, with the agility to manage unanticipated and unforeseen events.
• Ability to balance complex and often competing stakeholder interests within an academic environment.
• Comprehensive understanding of BC planning legislation and other municipal policies and regulations that may impact KPU.
• Demonstrated ability to manage large master planning projects and processes including, but not limited to, capital planning and plan implementation, regulatory processes and compliance management.
• Supplementary knowledge and skills in financial planning, asset management and project management.
• Strategic thinking with the ability to conceptualize and manage the planning process for infrastructure systems, and to analyze and evaluate data for developing solutions to complex problems.
• Ability to work independently, to organize work programs and set priorities for team members.
• An effective leader who fosters individual efforts, and encourages cross-functional collaboration to support breaking down barriers and enabling effective communication across the University.
• Supervisory experience managing exempt and unionized staff including recruitment, selection, coaching, mentoring and performance management is an asset
• Ability to draft detailed and complex correspondence, briefing documents, reports and proposals; effective presentation, written and oral communication skills; ability to synthesize issues and convey ideas succinctly and with clarity.
• Experience with Indigenous engagement and protocols is preferred.
• Intercampus travel is required, possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is preferred.
Please visit our careers centre for further information: https://www.kpu.ca/hr/career-opportunities
Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box?
We at KPU understand that experiences and qualifications may look differently for everyone and, if this job description is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply.
Note to Applicants:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.