Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward’s University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward’s emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students. An overview of St. Edward’s University employee benefits is available at; https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summary.
The Director of University Budgets plays a critical leadership role in organizing, administering, monitoring, and analyzing the institutional operating budget. The incumbent will actively seek opportunities for continuous improvement for the university’s budget processes, models and reporting infrastructure including facilitating utilization of Business Intelligence tools in evaluating financial opportunities and challenges. The incumbent designs and implements budget reports; assists in the preparation of financial analyses and presentations for senior leadership, department managers, Board of Trustees, and other internal and external stakeholders.
● Manage and maintain the annual budget development process. Prepares information to be presented at Budget Council meetings. Coordinate with division leaders to accumulate annual budget requests.
● Assist in the development and maintenance of a multi-year financial plan in alignment with the University’s strategic plan. Participates in the development of key budget and long-range planning assumptions.
● Develop and monitor a position management process to project personnel expenditures more timely and accurately to assist management with optimizing personnel expenditures.
● Provide leadership and support for Associate VP for Finance in establishing and maintaining automated budget and analytic reporting using available business intelligence tools.
● Advises and trains campus, school and departmental staff on the use of budget and resource planning standards.
● Recommends changes to the budget allocation process to help ensure that scarce resources are allocated to the University’s strategic goals.
● Other duties as assigned.
EXPECTATIONS: The incumbent is expected to have or possess:
● Ability to handle highly confidential material, understanding that all University information should only be disclosed to others who have a need to know, for legitimate business reasons. Have the ability to exercise and apply sound judgment and decision making skills as well as the ability to maintain integrity and confidentiality of data
● Has advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Suite software programs. Ability to quickly learn new technology and is self-motivated to stay current with emerging technologies.
● Ability to edit work for spelling and grammar, present numerical data effectively and is able to read and interpret written information. Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
● Adapt to change in the work environment, manage competing demands and be able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
● Ability to accept supervision, assignments, change and correction. Proven effectiveness in dealing with a wide range of professionals, staff, and administrators.
● Ability to balance priorities to accomplish assigned tasks within the required time frame and be able to shift quickly between several tasks without loss of continuity.
● Engage in meaningful and intentional professional development appropriate for areas of responsibility and actively engage in personal and campus well-being initiatives.
● Carry out all responsibilities and objectives in a professional manner.
● Accept and render constructive criticism in a professional manner.
● Adhere to the policies and procedures established by St. Edward’s University.
A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a related business field with at least twenty hours of coursework in accounting is required; a Master’s degree in Accounting or a related business field with at least twenty hours of coursework in accounting is preferred.
Experience in verifying and analyzing complex financial data and making future projections.
At least five years of experience in accounting, business planning or operations, or financial analysis is required.
Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is preferred.
High level of communication skills and ability to work with teams across the University with diverse skill sets and varying levels of responsibility. Self-starter who will make recommendations and make improvements to processes.
Must possess an unencumbered driver’s license and the ability to successfully pass a criminal background check.
We are not offering sponsorship at this time.
A criminal history background check is required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
Available: July 1, 2022 (flexible)
Interested applicants should submit an online application at: https://stedwards.applicantpro.com/jobs/2325971.html . Please include resume, cover letter, and three employment references. No Calls Please. Applications will not be considered if it is missing any of these three items. In your cover letter, please describe your lived experiences that prepare you to contribute to diversity and inclusion at St. Edward’s University.