The University of Virginia Foundation (UVAF) http://www.uvafoundation.com/ has supported the University of Virginia’s (UVA) academic, research, and public service mission by providing strategic real estate, financial and administrative services for nearly 30 years. Established in 1986, UVAF is a full-service real estate development and management company, working in close collaboration with UVA leadership and the Office of the Architect. UVAF act
Director of Real Estate Asset Management
University of Virginia Foundation
The University of Virginia Foundation (UVAF) http://www.uvafoundation.com/ has supported the University of Virginia’s (UVA) academic, research, and public service mission by providing strategic real estate, financial and administrative services for nearly 30 years.
Established in 1986, UVAF is a full-service real estate development and management company, working in close collaboration with UVA leadership and the Office of the Architect. UVAF actively identifies, acquires and assembles land holdings, enabling UVA’s future expansion and enhancing its boundaries. Often, UVAF engages in the planning and development of these land holdings on behalf of and in partnership with UVA. UVAF provides professional property management services for its own holdings and for fraternity and sorority houses, is experienced in historic renovation projects and actively supports UVA’s capital campaign by managing its real estate gifts and charitable gift annuity programs. In addition to its role with real estate, UVAF provides a full menu of financial and administrative services to many of UVA’s related foundations,including administration of a 17-member health benefits consortium.
With an active board of directors, composed of respected real estate experts and prominent UVA leaders, and accomplished staff of real estate professionals, UVAF is poised to serve the UVA well into the future.
UVAF by the numbers:
500 total employees (including subsidiaries)
5,200 acres (80+ distinct properties of all sizes)
$500 million of assets under management (including over 2 million square feet of commercial property)
A comprehensive list of UVAF properties http://www.uvafoundation.com/real-estate/properties and projects can be found on UVAF’s website http://www.uvafoundation.com/.
The University of Virginia
The University of Virginia was founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1819, with a goal of advancing human knowledge, educating leaders and cultivating an informed citizenry. In the 28 years since US News & World Report began ranking public universities as a separate category, UVA has always ranked among the top three and continues to place among the top 30 of the nation’s public and private universities combined.
The University of Virginia touts a thriving and diverse global community of nearly 54,000 students, faculty and staff. Its students hail from virtually every state in the nation and 111 countries and 220,000 alumni worldwide.
To learn more about the University of Virginia visit virginia.edu.
UVAF is seeking an experienced, strategic leader to join its executive management team (see org. chart) as the Director of Real Estate Asset Management (Director). Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director is responsible for the management of real estate assets under UVAF’s control, and develops and implements strategic real estate plans in support of UVA’s objectives. The Director must be an expert in evaluating, structuring, and negotiating real estate acquisitions and dispositions. The Director works with UVA to acquire new properties and helps to develop new facilities including residential, research, medical and professional office, retail, hospitality, and health system facilities. The Director leads a team of professionals in the stewardship of UVAF’s real estate assets and oversees outside contractors who support the team’s activities.
Leadership and Collaboration
• The Director consistently strives to create a positive work environment where expectations are clear, and where team members receive regular and constructive feedback and are equipped with the necessary training, knowledge, and freedom to accomplish the team’s goals.
• The Director represents the department on various committees, in meetings with UVA leadership, and local, state and federal levels of government authority in real estate matters.
• The Director promotes and supports collaboration and cooperation among various units across UVA, including UVA’s Real Estate Office, and the Office of the Architect.
• The Director provides the CEO, leadership team, and staff with real estate counsel and strategic advice.
• The Director provides staff leadership to a UVAF Board Committee.
• The Director recommends and implements strategic real estate plans and actions that support UVA’s objectives, working in close collaboration with UVAF’s executive management team.
• The Director prepares annual operating budgets for all properties and for the department.
• The Director is responsible for real estate property acquisitions and dispositions, the real estate gifts program, property management services, and providing tenant leasing guidance to the marketing team.
• The Director leads the property management of fraternity and sorority houses through the Historic Renovation Corporation, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Foundation, and Morven Estate.
The new Director will be an accomplished real estate asset management professional with an entrepreneurial spirit, strategic thinking capabilities, and a passion for advancing the mission of one of the top public universities in the world. He/she will bring demonstrated experience in negotiating complex real estate transactions and experience in the financing and valuation of commercial office buildings, hotels, retail, and multi-tenant properties. He/she must possess a strong understanding of leasing single and multi-tenant office buildings, building systems, and property management. He/she will have proven experience in acquisitions and dispositions of real estate.
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business administration, real estate, finance, or a related field.
• Advanced degree or professional designation in those fields preferred.
• Professional designations are preferred.
The ideal candidate will preferably have:
• Expert-level knowledge and extensive experience in real estate management and at least 10 years of related experience with proven success in managing a diverse portfolio.
• Experience with higher education, research, and health services facilities.
• A track record in structuring complex real estate transactions.
• Proven skills in real estate finance and development, negotiating, contracting, appraisal review, and financial modeling.
• Experience in real estate valuation.
Management and Leadership
The ideal candidate will have:
• Previous management experience and the ability to attract, retain, and develop a highly skilled and motivated staff.
• A thoughtful, transparent, and collaborative leadership style.
• The ability to work with senior executives and board members.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
• The ability to build relationships with community leaders and partners at UVA.
• Public speaking skills and ability to represent the UVAF in the community when needed.
The ideal candidate will:
• Be a servant leader with an entrepreneurial spirit, high energy and a sense of humor.
• Be highly strategic with an understanding of higher education’s mission and goals.
• Display personal and professional integrity and bring a blend of both self-confidence and humility; and
• Be an active listener and have the ability to influence at all levels.
To Apply or Nominate:
To learn more about this opportunity, please visit https://executivesearch.virginia.edu/search/uvaf-director-real-estate-asset-management.
Applications should include a resume and letter of interest.
To apply, please email your materials to email@example.com.
The search will be carried out with full confidentiality; candidates will be notified before references are contacted.
All inquiries should be directed to the University of Virginia’s Executive Search Group.
Do not contact the UVAF directly in regards to this opportunity.
UVAF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.