Reference Number: 190489
Being part of something greater, of serving a larger mission of discovery and care — that’s the heart of what drives people to work at Michigan. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. It’s adding a purpose to your profession. Work at Michigan and become a victor for the greater good.
ABOUT THE STEPHEN M. ROSS SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
The Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan is a diverse learning community grounded in the principle that business can be an extraordinary vehicle for positive change in today’s dynamic global economy. The Ross School of Business mission is to build a better world through business. Through thought and action, members of the Ross community drive change and innovation that improves business and society.
Ross is consistently ranked among the world’s leading business schools. Academic degree programs include the BBA, MBA, part-time MBA (Evening, Weekend, and Online formats), Executive MBA, Global MBA, Master of Accounting, Master of Supply Chain Management, Master of Management, and PhD. In addition, the school delivers open-enrollment and custom executive education programs targeting general management, leadership development, and strategic human resource management.
Apply Online at: https://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/190489/director_of_operations_and_safety
(careers.umich.edu Job ID 190489)
Reporting to the CFO, the Director of Operations and Safety oversees the facilities and operations of the Ross School of Business covering over 600,000 square feet with an operating budget of $2.7M. You will provide oversight for capital projects, renovations, facilities maintenance, and emergency planning and provides input to the school’s strategic space planning process. You will provide leadership and promote employee engagement to a diverse team of 25 staff members.
You will successfully:
• Take ownership of the experiences our members have while using space on the Ross campus, such that they are marked by quality, ease and efficiency.
• Focus on customer-oriented service outcomes.
• Consistent with our cultural aspirations, i.e., “the Ross Way”, contributes to our positive and inclusive work community by building trusting partnerships across the school, learning, creating impactful experiences, and working with a sense of ownership for outcomes.
• Champion a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; treat others with respect, and in a manner where individuals feel they belong; and listen, values feedback, and learns from the perspectives of others.
Manage Building Operations
• Oversee daily operations of all facilities within the Ross School of Business, ensuring operational efficiencies through building maintenance, custodial services, grounds, health and safety, and event support.
• Develop and establish processes, data and guidelines to support a proactive and comprehensive approach to ongoing building operations and safety.
• Partner and work collaboratively with University Facilities and Operations teams to manage service/building requirements consistent with the needs of the School.
• Ensure operational and financial performance of the Hotel and Conference Center in partnership with our service provider; ensuring contract obligations and a standard of excellence is maintained.
• Establish the operating budget. Ensure compliance to budget and all applicable financial policies, procedures and requirements.
• Lead and execute efforts for safety and emergency preparedness practices in partnership with the Division of Public Safety and Security and Ross units.
• Manage energy conservation practices and guidelines in coordination with the Office of Campus Sustainability.
• Manage practices and policies for space considerations.
Strategic Direction and Relationship Management
• Work with CFO and Ross leadership to set the strategic direction for operation and facility management including the development of 5 year space planning goals and developing short and long-range goals.
• Provide operational leadership support in carrying out the mission/strategic goals of the school.
• Monitor latest trends with top business schools to identify creative opportunities to enhance the Ross Complex.
• Build and nurture our relationships with important partners and organizations to determine how they can best partner to maintain a state-of-the-art facility.
• Provide positive leadership to the team; communicate vision and expectations; provide opportunities for professional growth through ongoing performance feedback, coaching and skill development.
• Advocate for a positive team culture by addressing team challenges and creating a culture of collaboration and respect.
• Manage and develop a high performing, high-service, customer oriented team. Guide manager and supervisors.
• Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 8 years of progressive experience in facilities management for large complex operations inclusive of maintenance, engineering, architecture, and construction management, or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience.
• You will assess the environment, the competition, and anticipate future business needs, and develop creative ideas for a highly functioning operation.
• Demonstrated managerial and team leadership skills are required.
• Network and build relationships with various internal and external constituencies.
• Project management
• Ability to work with a diverse group of people
• Excellent communication skills, and discretion.
• Experience in strategic planning and execution
• You have a track record in fiscal management and experience preparing and monitoring budgets.
• Experience managing both capital and renovation projects; space and master planning; essential facility management; and technical service providers.
• Knowledge of business school culture and expectations.
• Knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health standards for facilities maintenance.
• Familiarity of IT networking and infrastructure.
• Knowledge of emergency/crisis management for building operations.
Resume and Cover Letter