Salary: $120,000-$130,000/year, depending on experience and qualifications
Reference Number: S21294
Rice University sits in the heart of Houston on a 300-acre, tree-lined campus next to the Texas Medical Center and the Houston Museum District. Our tight-knit student community, engaging campus life and groundbreaking research opportunities attract talented students from all over the world who choose from more than 50 majors across six schools of study. See how Rice can help you find and follow your passions into a lifelong career.
The director of facilities oversees all preventive and reparative maintenance tasks performed on campus while strategically planning within the framework of the campus’ current and future needs. This position directs five trades maintenance shop supervisors and one senior construction services manager.
This position ensures that cost effective, efficient, reliable and non-disruptive maintenance service is provided to all campus facilities. This maintenance is associated with the mechanical, electrical, plumbing (MEP) systems, hardscape, and underground utilities through the administration and management of trades’ maintenance shops which carry out the maintenance functions.
This position also manages construction services (made up of four construction services managers at various levels) which provides timely review of predesign, design and construction documents to ensure that Rice standards are being met and value engineering opportunities are identified. Onsite building walks/surveys are conducted from the start of construction to completion. Additional duties include participation in the commissioning process and accountability for all asset data to be input into FEP’s IWMS system (TRIRIGA).
The ideal candidate will have a mechanical engineering degree with applied, multi-year management experience in facility management having led teams and trades people successfully, preferably in higher education.
– Oversees maintenance crafts shops, inclusive of all preventative and reparative maintenance for university buildings and equipment
– Provides direct supervision of maintenance crafts supervisors
– Establishes and enforces work quality, productivity and customer service standards
– Creates and oversees the implementation of short and long term work plans
– Manages the university’s facility maintenance and deferred maintenance programs
– Determines requirements for facility upgrades and modifications
– Formulates and implements operating procedures
– Selects and monitors contractors
– Manages budgets and operating expenses
– Completes other duties as assigned
Education Required Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering.
Education Preferred Master’s degree.
Experience Required 7 years of related experience in engineering design, maintenance and/or plant operations which includes at least two years of experience in a supervisory or leadership role.
– Ten years or more of related experience in engineering design, maintenance and plant operations
– Higher education experience in similar role
– Valid Texas Driver’s License (or ability to obtain within 30 days of employment) preferred with no more than three moving violations within the past 36 months and no convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past five years.
– Demonstrated ability to build, direct and lead teams with proven success
– Excellent interpersonal skills including service excellence, integrity, work ethic, and customer service
– Demonstrated ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
– Highly skilled in project management, verbal and written communication, problem identification and solution, presentation skills
– Knowledge of heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC), plumbing, electrical, carpentry, paint, preventive maintenance, elevator repair, mechanical repair, equipment repair, and building controls
– Ability and experience in reviewing design and construction documents.
– Strong computer skills, including experience working with computer based work management systems.
– Solutions oriented with strong critical thinking skills
– Ability to handle a variety of jobs simultaneously and demonstrated ability to react to rapidly changing job priorities
– Ability to deal with stressful situations and critical issues with diplomacy
– Ability to work effectively as part of a team and as a manager, both giving and receiving direction
– Directly supervises the activities of five maintenance supervisors of the following trades: HVAC, plumbing, mechanical repair, elevator, electrical, carpentry, painting and equipment repair, and, the senior construction services manager
– Oversees direct reports’ personnel actions, including hiring, firing, counseling and disciplining a work force of approximately 65 employees
– Responsible for all aspects of employee management including employment status, recruiting, interviewing, hiring, salaries and incentives, position descriptions, disciplinary actions and performance appraisals
– Actively establishes work priorities based on campus operations and activities
– Coordinates work of project teams to meet deadlines and budget, including outside firms, in-house staff, and client representatives
– Must follow procedures and guidelines set by the Facilities Engineering & Planning department and University policy for purchasing supplies, parts, and equipment
– Exercises stewardship responsibility for the ~$8 million maintenance budget
– Approves purchases and contracts within a designated signature authority
– Responsible for cost accountability of up to $5 million in project activity
– Must be able to evaluate reasonableness of bids/pricing, job activity cost controls, and identification of cost overruns early in order to seek proper authorization to proceed
In order to be apply, please visit https://jobs.rice.edu/postings/25948. For any questions, please contact email@example.com. Thank you.
Equal Opportunity Employer – Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Cover letter and resume