The Hill School
The Hill School (The Hill), originally named The Family Boarding School, is a coeducational independent boarding and day school for students in grades nine through 12 with a historic legacy spanning generations.
Rooted in a legacy of liberal arts, The Hill’s curriculum challenges students with authentic and transformative learning experiences to ensure they are prepared for the next step in their academic journey. In a nurturing yet rigorous environment, teachers push students outside of their comfort zone both to explore existing interests more deeply and to discover new passions. At The Hill, education continues outside of the classroom through place-based and experiential learning where students are asked to contemplate and address real-world problems.
The Hill’s campus is more than 200 acres and includes two artificial turf fields, an 8-lane track, and 11 new faculty homes. The campus is home to over 500 students and 61 full-time teaching faculty members. Nearly all faculty reside in dormitories serving as dorm parents, or in homes on campus.
Located in Pottstown, PA
About Pottstown, PA: Rich in history and culture, Pottstown offers students, residents, faculty, and visitors a variety of opportunities for dining, entertainment, shopping, and recreation. One does not have to travel far to have fun. The Hill also is convenient to major Pennsylvania cities (one hour from Philadelphia and approximately 30 minutes from the Lehigh Valley and Reading). New York City and Baltimore, MD are approximately two hours away by car or bus.
Food and Entertainment: Sly Fox Brewery, Manatawney Stillworks, Aya Caramba Tacos, Beverly’s Pastry Shop, Steel River Playhouse, Kiki Craft Vodka Garden, The Schuylkill River Trail, The Colebrookdale Railroad Tours, and the historic Carousel. A new asian fusion restaurant, The Blue Elephant, opens in late August.
Title: Director of Facilities
Reports to: Chief Financial and Operating Officer (CFOO)
Direct Reports: Building & Grounds Staff
FLSA Status: Exempt / Salaried
The Director of Facilities is responsible for stewarding The Hill School’s campus; leading a talented and dedicated team of maintenance technicians, grounds workers, and craftsmen; supporting a wide-range of administrative and programmatic initiatives; instilling an unparalleled customer service attitude among all facilities staff; and ensuring the thousands of annual visitors are wowed when arriving on campus.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Leads and manages all facilities staff as well as externally contracted vendors. Coordinates the selection, training, development, performance evaluation, and discipline of all direct reports and staff within the department.
• Engages with administration and trustees in all aspects of facilities maintenance and planning.
• Works with the CFOO and other administrators to balance quality, cost, and timing standards for a wide range of campus services and projects.
• Meets regularly with eight-person operations committee to review priorities and issues.
• Collaborates with the Security Director and others to maximize campus and building safety.
• Helps to ensure that best practices are followed in project management and operations.
• Plans, schedules, and supervises regular and preventative maintenance and repair of 750,000 SF of campus buildings, and roughly 120 acres of grounds.
• Provides direction to Buildings and Grounds staff; ensures effective, constant communication within the School community of all maintenance projects and related safety concerns.
• Develops annual maintenance, repair, and supplies budget recommendations; reviews and approves invoices and payment requests to assure payments are made in accordance with purchase orders and contractual agreements; creates and manages any capital equipment and special project budgets with input received by the Chief Financial Officer and the Construction Project Manager.
• Utilizes a competitive RFP process for all vendor contracts to ensure fiscal responsibility.
• Maintains blue prints, specifications, and operation / maintenance manuals for all buildings, systems, and equipment on campus in an organized manner.
• Collaborates with the Director of Summer Camps to provide support for all facility rentals.
• Collaborates with the School’s Energy Systems (Heating and Cooling) Manager to manage utility use and create conservation programs to improve sustainability across the physical plant.
• Maintains storm water management on campus.
• Manages moves and required residence improvements for residential and newly hired faculty each summer.
• Works with the administration to establish and enforce maintenance standards for faculty care of school residences.
• Works effectively with Pottstown Borough, Montgomery County, and Pennsylvania State officials to obtain licenses and permits.
• Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal regulatory requirements including ADA, building occupancy, OSHA work safety, and fire safety. Oversees inspections of all building systems as needed for compliance (boiler, fire alarms, elevators, etc.).
• Maintains roads, sidewalks, and parking lots within and around the exterior of the campus.
• Monitors and maintains environmental standards including asbestos and mold abatement / prevention programs on campus.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of all phases of physical plant and grounds operation, maintenance and repair, planning, scheduling, management and administration of the plant; knowledge of federal, state, and local regulations.
• General people management and organizational skills necessary to administer a large department with various skilled trades. Must be a good listener with high levels of confidence, resilience, integrity, and emotional maturity.
• Should have a track record of leading project teams effectively.
• Experience developing, implementing, and meeting operating and capital budgets.
• Familiarity with cost estimation practices.
• Knowledge and experience with state and local safety, fire, construction, and public access.
• Ability to read architectural plans and interpret building codes.
• Ability to multi-task and balance multiple competing projects on a daily and weekly basis.
• Experience with Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel, Maintenance Scheduling Software, Project Management Software, etc.
• Ability to communicate effectively using interpersonal skills to maintain effective relationships with other departments, staff, faculty, students, parents, and the general public.
• Must be physically and mentally fit to respond to emergency situations.
• Willingness to provide 24-hour emergency on-call service.
• Familiarity with and experience developing and implementing systems, processes, and procedures to enhance organizational effectiveness and establish best practices.
• Ten or more years’ experience managing buildings and grounds operations and / or construction projects.
• Strong knowledge of skilled trade work requirements in plumbing, electrical, carpentry, HVAC, masonry, roofing, and other building systems.
• Bachelor’s degree in construction management, engineering, architecture or related field of education and experience required.
• Must possess exemplary skill at assessing many situations and delegating to appropriate departments.
• Valid Driver’s license
• The Hill School Official Website: https://www.thehill.org/
• The Hill School At a Glance: https://www.thehill.org/about-
• The Hill School Athletic Facilities: https://www.thehill.org/
• The Hill School Arts Facilities: https://www.thehill.org/arts/
About the Search
The Hill School is conducting a regional search with the assistance of Helbling & Associates (www.helblingsearch.com), an executive search firm specializing in areas of facilities management, construction, engineering, and real estate development.
Please Submit Applications or Nominations to
Helbling & Associates, Inc.
8000 Brooktree Road, Suite 100
Wexford, PA 15090
Ryan Pugh, Senior Managing Consultant
O: (724) 935-7500 x111
C: (724) 991-6051
Please visit Helbling & Associates’ Candidates Page for more information.