Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Reference Number: 515734
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Operations HR at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Planning and University Architect, the Director for Capital Design has a leadership role in planning and design support for capital projects, in the university’s capital portfolio.
This is a highly visible position that interacts with stakeholders across the university in the support of capital assets.
• Ensuring physical campus maintains alignment with the institution’s mission, vision, core values, and strategic plans.
• Ensuring the capital portfolio is integrated with non-capital and long-range physical planning, and coordinating enterprise-wide efforts to ensure that the campus experience at the capital level always expresses the sense of place and quality that is intrinsic to Virginia Tech.
• Collaborating enterprise-wide to ensure stakeholder facility and space needs are being met, university goals are achieved, and that projects support compliance and aspirational efforts associated with accessibility, diversity, and inclusion.
• Providing leadership in the development and application of campus design principles and standards.
The Director will also provide direct oversight of special projects, the development of strategic presentations, unit reporting, and may be required to represent the university in meetings.
• Advanced degree in Architecture, or a related field; OR a bachelor’s degree and work experience that equates to an advanced degree.
• Comprehensive knowledge of, and significant experience with, all phases of planning and design.
• Demonstrated commitment to accessibility and inclusion. Knowledge of accessibility issues and planning mechanisms specific to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Universal Design Principles.
• Demonstrated patience, reliability, composure, and stability under pressure as well as a strong personal ethics commitment. Exceptional communication skills, interpersonal skills, diplomacy, and the ability to work collaboratively and build trusted relationships with diverse internal and external constituencies.
• Must have strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills to manage complex tasks and/or those that require the balance of competing interests.
• Extensive leadership and team-building skills with a demonstrated ability to work independently and with minimal supervision, while also exhibiting consistent professional judgement, excellent organizational, and delegation skills.
• Champion of a responsive staff that embraces a culture of continuous improvement, self-assessment, and accountability.
• Demonstrated commitment to data-driven decision making and the use of key performance indicators in the execution of responsibilities.
• Experience as owner’s representative within a large, complex organization.
• Experience with, and a broad understanding of, public sector or higher education business issues and project delivery mechanisms.
• Comprehensive knowledge of, and significant experience with, construction procurement and delivery.
• Experience researching and preparing technically complex executive level documents, position papers, reports, proposals, and presentations on a variety of strategic topics.
• Proficient with facilities related software and enterprise systems, or intermediate to expert knowledge of Assetworks’ AiM or similar database driven facilities management software.
• Additional degree or advanced certification in engineering, building construction, architecture, interior design, business, management, public administration, or a related field.
• Relevant professional credential or registration.
Operations HR at email@example.com
Virginia Tech Recruiter firstname.lastname@example.org
Cover Letter and Resume