The Jackson Laboratory
The Jackson Laboratory, (JAX) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 2,000 employees whose mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. JAX has a mammalian genetics headquarters in Bar Harbor, Maine; a laboratory mice facility in Ellsworth, Maine; JAXWest, a facility in Sacramento, CA; and The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (JAX-GM), a new genomic medicine facility in Farmington, CT that is enabling the Laboratory to translate its fundamental science into the clinic. In addition to its National Cancer Center Institute-designated Cancer Center, the Laboratory also has initiated a cancer research laboratory in Seoul, Korea.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views and dramatic coastline) is accessible from their campus. JAX is one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring their people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by their promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to them
What does JAX have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement. JAX offers an M.B.A. program, a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families. Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in their shared quest to improve human health.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Facilities Service & Engineering, the Director, Engineering & Capital Projects is responsible for the planning, design, and construction of all capital projects and physical improvements undertaken by The Jackson Laboratory, ensuring that they meet state and federal regulations and procedures and are effectively managed from concept through planning, design, bidding, construction, and up to occupancy. The Engineering Director leads the selection and hiring of consultants engaged by JAX for capital projects and physical improvements and oversees the work of consulting firms and in-house design staff throughout these projects. This position helps manage the efficient use of space on campus by all departments and entities. The Engineering Director develops long-range and detailed plans to meet the needs of the institution, develops and oversees budgets for construction projects, and manages the office of Engineering & Technical Services.
• Assists Senior Director in development and maintenance of the campus master plan through consideration of the program and growth needs of The Jackson Laboratory; the master plan supports the mission of the institution with detailed short-, mid-, and long-term plans for campus facilities and infrastructure to meet the needs of the organization and is a tool to guide development of the campus. Works with all components of Facilities Services and other JAX scientific and administrative staff to assist in development of a thorough and effective process for gathering information for the campus master plan as well as planned capital projects and physical improvements and facilitates the process to ensure that completed construction projects meet the needs of the various campus constituencies who will use the facilities.
• Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, or directly related field (AIA or P.E. registration or ability to be registered within 12 months preferred).
• 15+ years’ Facilities Engineering / Planning experience in an industrial / institutional setting, 5 of which in a technical supervisory capacity. This experience must include discerning program needs from user input to develop programming and planning documents, guiding and managing the design process, developing and managing project budgets, overseeing multi-million-dollar construction projects involving a diversity of construction systems, and field observation of construction. Construction industry experience within institutional research environment is preferred.
• In-depth knowledge and understanding of architectural, mechanical, electrical, structural, and civil systems encountered as part of facilities construction, renovation, and maintenance. Strong knowledge of building codes, industry standards, contract language applicable to the construction industry, and applicable statutes of the States of California, Connecticut, and Maine is required.
• Management skills, particularly in decision-making, are required. The ability to gather and thoroughly analyze information in order to make well-founded recommendations to The Jackson Laboratory’s senior management is required.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community. The ability to communicate with the JAX community, the public, and the media regarding planning, design, and construction issues is required.
• Demonstrated proficiency in the use of personal computers and Facilities / Project Management related software (Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office group, Microsoft Project or Primavera project software, AutoCAD, Timberline, e-Builder etc.)
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is conducting a national search with the assistance of Helbling & Associates (www.helblingsearch.com), an executive search firm specializing in areas of facilities management, construction, engineering, and real estate development.
Please Submit Applications or Nominations to
Helbling & Associates, Inc.
8000 Brooktree Road, Suite 100
Wexford, PA 15090
Robert “Rob” H. Dible, Search Consultant
O: (724) 935-7500 x117
Please visit Helbling & Associates’ Candidates Page for more information.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
• The Jackson Laboratory Official Website: https://www.jax.org/
• Helbling & Associates, Inc. Website: https://www.helblingsearch.
• Visit Bar Harbor, ME Website: https://www.visitbarharbor.
• Bar Harbor, ME Official Website: https://www.barharbormaine.