Salary: Depends on experience
Reference Number: 66694BR
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy, and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural, and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real-world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation’s fifth-largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit w ww.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
The Office of Planning and Budget (OPB) is seeking a dynamic individual to join our team. OPB serves as a steward of resources and trusted advisor to University leadership to support decision-making and enable strategy.
Reporting to the Vice President for Budget Planning and Management, the Director, Decision Support and Analysis will lead projects and initiatives designed to inform strategic and operational decisions by ASU leadership in the areas of resource planning, allocation, and management. The Director, Decision Support and Analysis uses a collaborative and consultative approach to working effectively across stakeholder groups to address financial opportunities and challenges for the University.
• Develops, implements, and/or evaluates directly, or in conjunction with others, complex data analyses that support resource and financial planning.
• Facilitates the development of mid and long-range predictive enrollment, space, staffing, and financial models that support strategic planning efforts and executive decision-making.
• Compares data from a variety of sources (e.g., personnel, payroll, student fees, student census, general ledger) to ensure accuracy using judgment, and relying on knowledge of subject material.
• Gathers information; identifies analysis methodologies; and prepares, develops, and submits written and graphic results of the evaluation of data.
• Resolves issues related to the development of recommendations based on research, analysis, and evaluation of data pertaining to specific projects, conditions or proposals that require the applications of expert and highly specialized knowledge, and recommends resolution of problems.
• Leads annual benchmarking initiatives (e.g., NACUBO, Academic Benchmarking Consortium, 50-state tuition report), leveraging the data to guide policy decisions and identify opportunities for cost efficiencies.
• Conducts return on investment analysis of existing programs.
• Assesses the economic viability of proposed programs or projects.
• Performs funds flow analysis and econometric modeling.
• Facilitates contingency planning for financial down-turn scenarios.
• Creates and maintains an executive-level dashboard (includes financial, student, and human resources data) to be reviewed by senior leadership on a quarterly basis.
• Analyzes the financial impact of workforce trends and/or human resources policy changes; makes recommendations based on findings.
• Facilitates the development and operation of a long-range all-funds financial forecast tool to guide university-wide strategic decisions and investments.
• Develops unit-level planning tools (e.g., tool for department chair to assess the financial impact of a new academic program) in collaboration with the Provost’s Office.
• Supports preparation of strategic planning documents; assists in analyzing university and campus strategic initiatives, goals, objectives, and performance outcomes.
• Supports analysis of complex proposals led by senior departmental staff.
• Identifies and develops, where appropriate, new technology to enhance decision making; understands the impact of technological change on the organization.
• Participates in periodic upgrades and restructuring of enterprise systems, supporting definition and development of reporting requirements.
• Collaborates with Director, Institutional Analysis in the Office of the University Provost to prepare analyses as required.
• Represents the university on internal and external committees involved in a variety of institutional issues.
• Supervises and oversees work teams and/or staff; coaches and provides feedback to develop knowledge, skills, and abilities of staff engaging in data analysis.
• Performs other duties upon request.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field and seven (7) years of experience in financial or budget analysis or strategic planning; OR, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
• Evidence of a Master’s degree in related field, such as Business Administration, Business Analytics, Data Science, Public Policy/Administration, Finance, Economics, or Higher Education Administration.
• Ten (10) or more years of relevant work experience, preferably in higher education.
Please apply at:
The Office of Planning and Budget (OPB) is responsible for facilitating the development and management of the University’s annual planning and budgeting processes. This includes resource planning, modeling, allocations, tracking, forecasting, and reporting, as well as decision support analysis for unit and enterprise-wide leadership. In addition, OPB handles external reporting requirements and information requests from the State’s Joint Legislative Budget Committee (JLBC) and its Office of Strategic Planning and Budgeting (OSPB), and the Arizona Board of Regents.
Cover Letter & Resume