Salary: Commensurate with education and experience
Reference Number: 2100015P
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is the founding campus of the University System of Maryland. Opened in 1807, UMB is Maryland’s public health, law, and human services university, dedicated to excellence in education, research, clinical care, and public service.
UMB enrolls over 7,100 students in six nationally ranked professional schools — dentistry, law, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, and social work — and an interdisciplinary Graduate School. The University offers 80 doctoral, master’s, baccalaureate, and certificate programs and confers most of the professional practice doctoral degrees awarded in Maryland. UMB is a thriving academic health center combining cutting-edge biomedical research and exceptional patient care. UMB’s extramural funding totaled $688 million in Fiscal Year 2020.
UMB was ranked one of America’s Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine (Feb 2021).
• Establishes strategic initiatives for USM and the University; develops and implements policies, procedures, and processes that both achieve established goals and represent industry best practices.
• Creates a cohesive team that works collaboratively to achieve University and Department goals. Hires, trains, motivates, mentors, professionally develops, and evaluates a professional staff of five Project Managers.
• Negotiates design, construction, and specialty service contracts and major contract changes.
• Prepares project plans, budgets and schedules including yearly updates to the University System of Maryland 5-year Capital Improvement Program. Develops processes to monitor and periodically report project progress and issues to internal and external stakeholders.
• Develops, implements, and continually improves standard operating procedures, policies, and processes for department operations. Develops and implements internal controls to ensure compliance with all applicable rules, regulations, and laws. Conducts necessary compliance proficiency training.
• Monitors developments in federal and state design and construction laws and regulations and assesses their impact on capital project design and construction.
• Works in collaboration with other affiliates and agencies, including the Department of Budget and Management (DBM), on legislative matters that affect the UMB community.
• Proactively represents the University and Department through participation in meetings, conferences, and special projects.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, or related field required. Masters preferred.
Certification: Project Management Institute PMP or CMAA Certified Construction Manager (CCM) required, or ability to obtain certification within 12 months of hire.
Experience: Twelve years of experience in institutional or commercial construction project management. Four years of leadership experience including responsibility for staff recruitment, training, evaluation, and professional development. Experience in the use of Alternate Construction Delivery processes preferred.
Financial Disclosure Required
Financial Disclosure Required
UMB requires all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources.
UMB has hired a Search Consultant to assist with this Search. Submit all applications, including resumes and cover letters, nominations, and referrals, to:
All information submitted will be held in strict confidence.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at HRJobs@umaryland.edu.
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact HRDiversity@umaryland.edu. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cover Letter and Resume