Reference Number: R0003548
Brandeis is an R1 university located in Waltham, MA, next to the Brandeis/Roberts MBTA commuter rail station on a 250-acre residential campus with 3 million gross square feet of space in 100 buildings.
Brandeis University seeks to hire a Director of Campus Planning who will be responsible for moving forward the university’s mission through the development and implementation of near- and long-term plans that foster the strategic use of physical assets across campus – buildings, landscape, infrastructure, and location. As a service provider to the university community, the multi-faceted role of the Campus Planning office is to:
* collaborate with the Academy and Administration on programming efficient solutions to space requests, based on data-driven analyses;
* lead all campus master planning processes and program-related feasibility studies, typically involving multiple stakeholders;
* develop projects for review/approval by senior leadership and implementation by Facilities Administration;
* support the development of the university’s 5-year capital plan;
* maintain the university spatial database and campus maps;
* provide information on campus properties in graphic and data formats
Examples of Key Responsibilities:
* Programming and project development for a significant addition to Brandeis’ science complex. The director will be a key participant in this complex planning process that will involve stakeholders from the Academy, a project governance group comprised of university leaders, colleagues from Capital Programs, and consultants. The director’s primary roles will be to oversee the programming process and to inform decision making by the project governance group. Secondary role will be to support Capital Programs in keeping this multi-year project on budget and on schedule to deliver a highly-functioning facility to the Brandeis science community.
* Space planning in response to requests from the campus community and/or in support of campus-wide initiatives. For example, the post-pandemic office working environment may be different resulting in less space required by some campus groups, more space by other groups, and possibly more integration with technology and outdoor areas. The director’s primary role will be to respond to these requests by developing planning solutions, often with multiple concepts for program fit reflecting space allocation metrics, code requirements, preliminary cost estimates, technology needs, and the impact on abutters. Concepts should be presented in graphic and tabular formats to aid the decision making to proceed, or not.
* A planning study to inform a long-term housing program at Brandeis is needed to address the opportunity for increased on-campus residency, potential for new housing, and the need to address deferred maintenance. The director’s primary role will be to develop the scope of work, assemble housing data, and to lead a cross-departmental team to oversee execution of the study with the goal of making recommendations to university leadership for the future of on-campus housing.
* Support the Campus Space Analyst in ongoing efforts to ensure the accuracy of spatial data and floor plans. Develop familiarity with the importance of space use and spatial data to various university systems including, for example, rate setting for indirect cost recovery, classroom scheduling, O&M calculations, and event planning.
* Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a field related to planning, design, or project management. Advanced degree preferred.
* Minimum of ten years’ experience in campus planning, preferably in higher education
* Demonstrated experience in collaboration leading consensus building across groups
* Technical skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, graphic software, and, ideally, in CAFM systems, CAD and Revit.
* Knowledge of building codes, zoning ordinances, universal access, and regional real estate markets. Familiarity with various metrics for space allocation, FICM space use codes, and spatial databases.
Lois Stanley, VP for Campus Operations
BOTH cover letter and resume