Reference Number: 1630863
California State University, Dominguez Hills
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY AT DOMINGUEZ HILLS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT
Data Scientist, Visualization & Design – Exempt (Analyst/Programmer – Expert)
California State University, Dominguez Hills, was established in 1960 and is one of the 23 campuses that comprise The California State University system. CSU Dominguez Hills is an urban, comprehensive public university that serves a culturally rich, diverse student body of over 12,500 students at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Located on a 346-acre site in the South Bay portion of the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area, CSU Dominguez Hills has a highly pluralistic student body, which includes a significant number of non-traditional, working adult students as well as approximately 2,000 students enrolled in distance learning programs statewide. The University, with its five Academic Colleges, has more than 300 full-time faculty members and is situated in an area characterized by an extraordinary heterogeneity of people, and an extensive array of high technology industries and professional services.
Conditions of Employment:
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Full-time, permanent (probationary) position.
Department: University Effectiveness Planning and Analytics
The Office of University Effectiveness, Planning, and Analytics reports to the Vice President for Information Technology and is responsible for producing official information for the campus, conducting research on policy matters, providing actionable reports and data, and investigating selected educational issues. The office provides leadership in the areas of institutional effectiveness, program review, student success, benchmarking, and assessing student outcomes. The office works with units across campus to develop and continually improve data visualizations, business intelligence dashboards, and predictive analytics. The office follows the Association for Institutional Research’s Code of Ethics and Professional Practice.
Major Job Duties:
Under the general direction of the AVP, University Effectiveness Planning and Analytics (UEPA), the primary responsibility of this position is to collaborate with stakeholders and committees to develop visualizations toward building a comprehensive reporting for analyzing varying business needs. This will include developing custom reports and data visualization products using large data sets to transform data into actionable insights. The incumbent will conduct advanced analysts on complex design algorithms and be adept at describing findings for technical and non-technical audiences, to turn information into an asset. The incumbent will work collaboratively with analysts on the team who collect, model, and architect the data across multiple systems and into the data warehouse. The position will work in collaboration with efforts underway across the university focused on institutional effectiveness, efficiency, and strategic goals. This position will join the UEPA at a time of growth to support leadership goals.
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a computer-related discipline, applied mathematics, statistics, or engineering. Bachelor’s degree in social sciences (e.g., psychology, business, sociology) or other non-computer related discipline may be acceptable with relevant work experience.
Advanced degree and related certifications, preferred, with three years of experience. Credentials from DASCA a plus.
Required Experience: 5 years of professional related experience in data analytics with progressively increasing levels of responsibility. Experience visualizing in Tableau and other tools such as matplotlib, ggplot, d3.js is a plus.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
– Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and natural language processing.
– Programming skills in Hadoop, Java, Python, SQL, R, or related statistical programming language.
– Maintaining a professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
– Excellent project management skills
– Mathematical aptitude and strong problem-solving skills.
– Strong, effective interpersonal and communication skills (written, verbal, and listening).
– Demonstrated ability to visualize in Tableau and other tools such as matplotlib, ggplot, d3.js.
– Using scientific method to analyze and verify results.
– Confidently and creatively creating a story with data.
– Serving as a change agent and influence helping end users adopt new approaches in
using data and understanding how insights can suggest changes to policy, procedures, programs, and interactions across students, faculty, and staff.
– Effectively balancing needs for creating top-line summaries and in-depth review of trends, gaps, and program-level performance.
– Communicating through synthesis of multiple data sets and detailed reports to identify trends and insights beyond simple output, effectively delivering findings to create actionable insights.
– Demonstrated ability to work independently and prioritize effectively across various objectives and key stakeholders.
– Ability to diagnose technical/data issues independently with an eye for details and the ability to uphold strong data quality assurance standards and policies.
– Willingness to experiment and learn new tools and technologies.
– Creativity and the ability to think “outside the box” resulting in innovative or different approaches to a particular task.
– Ability to work with large amounts of information and to see the ‘bigger picture’; and then explain insights to various stakeholders with different perspectives using lay terms.
$6,249 – $12,100 monthly
Placement within the salary range is commensurate with experience
How to apply: You can only apply by completing an electronic application at the campus job web site at https://apptrkr.com/1630863 Click on “view job opportunities” under “New and returning applicants.” View the list of jobs and click on the one with the job title listed above.
The application review date is: Wednesday, October 9, 2019.
CSU Dominguez Hills is an Equal Opportunity /ADA Employer.
California State University, Dominguez Hills Human Resources Management
1000 E. Victoria St.
Carson, CA 90747