Reference Number: 1537932
California State University, Dominguez Hills
California State University, Dominguez Hills, was established in 1960 and is one of the 23 campuses that comprise The California State University system. CSU Dominguez Hills is an urban, comprehensive public university that serves a culturally rich, diverse student body of over 12,500 students at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Located on a 346-acre site in the South Bay portion of the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area, CSU Dominguez Hills has a highly pluralistic student body, which includes a significant number of non-traditional, working adult students as well as approximately 2,000 students enrolled in distance learning programs statewide. The University, with its five Academic Colleges, has more than 300 full-time faculty members and is situated in an area characterized by an extraordinary heterogeneity of people, and an extensive array of high technology industries and professional services.
Under the general direction of the Director of the School of Nursing, the incumbent is responsible for coordinating the affiliations with clinical agencies for the nursing programs, incoming student advisement, and recruitment for the students for the School of Nursing.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
– General knowledge of the principles, practices and trends of the student services field;
– Thorough knowledge of practice, procedures and activities of the various academic programs within the School of Nursing and CSUDH or the ability to rapidly acquire the knowledge.
– Demonstrated skills and knowledge of college advising, interview and recruiting techniques;
– Demonstrated teamwork skills and ability to manage a fast-paced team oriented environment with frequent interruption while accomplishing program goals and objectives;
– Competency and professional currency through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses and trainings.
-Demonstrate advanced communication skills
– Ability to perceive the possible implications to overall program operation of policies and procedures developed for the student advisement process
– Ability to gather and analyze data, reason logically, draw valid conclusions, and make appropriate recommendations via oral presentations and/or written reports
– Ability to organize, prioritize, and complete in a timely manner a variety of complex assignments without detailed instructions
– Ability to initiatives and resourcefulness in a planning work assignments and in implementing long-range program improvements
– Ability to coordinate, participate and contribute to group meetings, conferences and interviews
– Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and college working relationships with campus department personnel, School of Nursing staff, faculty, administrators and students, as well as affiliating external agencies
– Ability to determine appropriate course of action and proper techniques to utilize while engaged with individuals in personal interactions of an argumentative or sensitive nature
– Ability to recognize the need for consultation
– Ability to travel off-campus for recruitment, advisement activities, and other meetings and work evenings and weekend hours as needed.
Specialized Materials: Requires daily use of computer to use Microsoft Office products; such as Access or Excel and Word, accessing email and student records, using printers, faxes and copier machines.
Experience and Education:
Required Education: Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in a related field; including or supplemented by upper division or graduate course work in counseling techniques, interviewing and conflict resolution.
Required Experience: Equivalent to three years of progressively responsible professional student services work experience
Preferred Experience: A Master’s degree in Counseling, Clinical psychology, Social Work, or a directly related field may be substituted for one year of experience. A doctorate degree and the appropriate internship or clinical training in counseling or guidance may be substituted for the three years of experience for positions with a major responsibility for professional career or personal counseling.
You can only apply by completing an electronic application at the campus job web site at https://apptrkr.com/1537932