Salary: $95,637.14 - $155,569.90; salary commensurate with education and experience.
For more details, please apply on Institutions Website: https://cuny.jobs/
Job Title: Chief Administrative Superintendent of Building & Grounds, Level 4 – Physical Plant Services
Job ID: 22265
Location: Bronx Community College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
This is a management class of positions. Incumbent performs related work.
Under executive direction, with the widest latitude for the exercise of independent judgment and action, serves as the chief in charge of Campus buildings and grounds.
• Is responsible for promoting and enhancing efficient and safe management, operation and maintenance of all campus buildings and grounds under his/her control.
• Serves as advisor to the senior executives of the college.
• Directs the work of one or more Administrative Superintendents of Campus Buildings and Grounds.
• Coordinates strategic, emergency or short range planning activities for safe operation of buildings and grounds.
• Is responsible for adherence to City, State, and Federal codes and regulations including the handling and removal of toxic materials from the campus buildings and grounds.
• Sets policies for garbage removal including toxic wastes; directs and develops recycling programs.
• Provides expert advice and direction regarding EPA and OSHA regulations and standards.
• Participates in policy planning and implementation concerning all matters under his/her jurisdiction.
• Is responsible for development of job standards for hourly personnel.
• Is responsible for administrative and/or ancillary functions required by and in support of the operations and functions of the department including personnel, training and development, labor relations, discipline, budget preparation and implementation.
• Reviews and comments on major construction projects or renovations as requested by appropriate college and University administrators.
• Responsible within limits for the purchase of materials and equipment needed for the department, in adherence with the University purchasing regulations.
• Ensures necessary certification of staff to accomplish standardized and quality work.
• Reports and makes recommendations to the senior executives of the college.
Chief Administrative Superintendent Building and Grounds
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Bronx Community College (BCC) of The City University of New York offers more than 30 academic programs that prepare students for their education at a four-year college as well as to continue with achieving their goal and careers. Located on a 44.6-acre tree-lined campus, the campus consists of 32 buildings occupying 1,275,304 square feet of building space. BCC is home to the Hall of Fame for Great Americans, the country’s first hall of fame. The College provides its approximately 11,500 students with quality academic programs, outstanding faculty, and flexible class schedules. BCC is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), with students representing approximately 100 countries. In October 2012, the BCC campus was declared a National Historic Landmark, becoming the country’s first community college campus to receive such a designation.
In addition to the General Duties, the Chief Administrative Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds will be responsible for overseeing:
• Develop, coordinate, monitor and manage the campus maintenance program including: scheduled and unscheduled repairs, renovation and/or construction, developing, coordinating and monitoring class schedules, development and review of maintenance policy and procedures, ensuring compliance of staff with established maintenance policy and procedures, and assessment of maintenance training needs.
• Estimation and administration of annual departmental budget requirements for custodial, laborer, maintenance, skilled trades and power plant staff and functions.
• Inspection of facilities plant and major infrastructure systems and equipment to determine the need for repair, alteration, and maintenance.
• Development and implementation of extensive and continuous training programs for custodial services and other staff in all aspects of building cleaning and maintenance systems, equipment, chemical use and storage, EHS compliance, customer service, energy savings, recycling, new hire orientation, and special post requirements.
• Maintenance of accurate control and issuance of inventory for all materials, supplies, and equipment.
• Function as a key liaison for oversight of maintenance and service contracts and prepare detailed specifications for maintenance and service contracts.
• Function as a key liaison for faculty and staff instructional and office environmental needs.
• Manage and monitor service requests and the work order system to ensure all staff activities are fully reported and issue reports monthly.
• Recommend strategies for proactively addressing relevant sustainability issues.
• Participate in cross-functional teams and campus planning.
This position is deemed essential and as such must be able to respond to and assist with managing any and all emergencies including snow, hurricane, flooding, and other OEM designated building and campus emergencies.
1. Baccalaureate degree in related field of study from an accredited college and six years of related experience of which four years must be progressive full-time managerial/administrative experience in the management and/or operation and maintenance of buildings and grounds such as large hotels, educational complexes, large office buildings, or large building complexes large gardens or parks; OR
2. A valid New York State Registration as an architect and 5 years of related experience of which 3 years must be progressive full-time managerial/administrative experience as described in 1 above; OR
3. A valid New York State professional engineers license and 5 years of related experience of which 3 years must be progressive full-time managerial/administrative experience as described in 1 above; OR
4. A valid New York City High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineers license, a four year high school diploma or its equivalent, and eight years of related experience of which six years must be progressive full-time managerial/administrative experience as described in 1 above; OR
5. A four year high school diploma or its equivalent and 10 years of related experience of which 6 years must be progressive full-time managerial/administrative experience as described in 1 above; OR
6. A combination of education and/or experience equivalent to “1”,”2″,”3″,”4″ and “5” above. In addition an advance degree in a managerial field from an accredited college may be substituted for an additional year of managerial/administrative experience. However, all candidates must possess a high school diploma or its equivalent, and 5 years of related experience of which 3 years must be managerial/administrative as described in “1” above.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills
• Familiarity with Fire Alarm and Sprinkler systems
• Working knowledge of project management using Gantt and network diagrams in the preparation of material take-offs from plans and specifications of field measurement
• Thorough knowledge of HVAC, electrical, plumbing, renovation and capital projects, special event support, and overall operations
• Familiarity with work order tracking systems to manage the day-to-day operations and maintenance of all trades, custodial, laborer staff work flow and performance
• Experience in construction management using multiple trades
• Demonstrated success in identifying and prioritizing areas for institutional sustainability efforts
• Knowledge of building systems and ability to operate and control mechanical equipment
• Previous experience with energy efficient systems and/or maintaining green buildings
Preferred knowledge and skills:
• Record keeping, cost analysis and work order procedures
• Methods, tools and equipment used in the maintenance, grounds and custodial areas
• Principles, methods, techniques and strategies pertaining to comprehensive facilities planning, construction and modernization programs
• Principles and practices of administration, supervision, training, staff development, and performance management
• Contemporary technical maintenance practices and techniques (i.e. preventive maintenance, cost estimating, materials acquisition)0
• Technical understanding of blueprints, designs and drawings, schematics, and other capital planning documents
• Knowledge of computerized electronic mail, work order systems, HVAC control systems, and preventive maintenance programs
• Knowledge of health and safety codes applicable to multiple building campus and office buildings
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigating to the following links: Select “Employment”, then select “Search Job Postings” and find JOB ID #22265. You MUST INCLUDE the following: cover letter and resume along with names, addresses, e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of three PROFESSIONAL references. Please Note: If you have applied to this position already, you do not need to reapply to be considered.
IMPORTANT – ALL information MUST be supplied at the time of application to be considered for an interview. For general assistance with your CUNYFirst application, please go to http://www.cuny.edu/employment/jobsysteminstructions.html for information.
Resumes will be reviewed until position is filled.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.