Associate Director, Utility Distribution – Engineering Services
Facilities and Services
University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
Facilities & Services (F&S) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is accepting applications for an Associate Director for Utility Distribution. The Associate Director is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Urbana Campus utility distribution systems, including electrical distribution, gas chilled water, domestic water distribution, sanitary sewer, steam distribution, and storm sewer.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide planning and engineering for all Urbana Campus utility distribution systems.
2. Provide technical and operational requirements for high-pressure natural gas transmission pipeline.
3. Maintain compliance and good working relationships with regulatory agencies including the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency for water and sewer systems and the Illinois Commerce Commission for natural gas transmission and distribution systems.
4. Provide management and oversight, budget responsibility, engineering, and advice to Facilities & Services units that operate and maintain campus utilities including the Steam Distribution Shop, Electrical Systems and Controls Shop, and Water Station.
5. Provide supervision & HR oversight for crafts and Trades assigned to this area.
6. Provide utility program statements and planning for utility extensions and interface with Facilities & Services planning section.
7. Provide engineering assistance to resolve Campus utility issues with Campus capital construction and remodeling projects in a cooperative fashion with Facilities & Services Construction Management and Quality Assurance groups.
8. Provide off normal hours response for scheduled and unscheduled utility outages.
9. Represent Campus utilities in planning and response to emergencies and critical incidents in coordination with EPA.
10. Manage Campus utility locating services performed by Facilities & Services personnel, and serve at University contact to JULIE the statewide One Call Center.
11. Provide technical interface and single point of contact with local utilities and municipalities with regard to utility issues.
12. Responsible for additional duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Required: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
Experience in a position that includes supervision and management responsibility in an organization’s utility distribution system or energy management.
1. Ten years of professional engineering experience.
2. Ten years of management of a technical/operational area at a utility or institutional facility complex.
TRAINING, LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS:
Required: Registration as a Professional Engineer in Illinois (or a state with reciprocity to Illinois).
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION:
This is a full-time 12-month Academic Professional position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
To ensure full consideration, please create your candidate profile at jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, copy of undergraduate transcripts, and the names/contact information for three professional references by December 19, 2019. Applicants may be interviewed before December 19, 2019; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. The start date is as soon as possible after the close of the search.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Keri Frederick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit go.illinois.edu/EEO.