New Jersey City University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants.
New Jersey City University is a Tobacco and Smoke Free Campus. For the health of our employees, students and visitors, smoking, vaping and tobacco use is not permitted on campus. This includes all buildings, grounds and parking lots.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Associate Controller is responsible for producing accurate and timely financial reports, preparing analyses for management and requesters, and providing accounting services as assigned.
This position reports to the Controller. Major duties and responsibilities of this position include:
Financial Reporting & Analysis
• Preparing and reporting the University’s annual audited Financial Statements, MD&A, and Footnotes
• Preparing and reporting an analysis of variances of revenues and expenses on a monthly basis in comparison to actuals and budgets
• Preparing the audited financial statement variance analytics prior to the beginning of the auditors’ field work
• Completing by delegation the financial data sections for the annual CAFR, IPEDS, Middle States, and other surveys as requested, including ratio analysis
• Assistance and completion of the annual Appendix A and rating agency requirements and requests
• Preparing accurate and timely account analysis and audit work papers as assigned by the Controller
• Assisting stakeholders to understand their financial reports
• Utilizing and reviewing account reconciliations and analysis prepared by the general accountants to gain knowledge of account balances and content
• Reporting general ledger account analyses and reconciliation errors and omissions to the Controller
• Review and approval of journal entries, wires, reconciliations and other workpapers
Other Responsibilities & Duties
• Maintain current knowledgeable of GAAP as issued by GASB and FASB
• Escalating unresolved issues to the Controller, as appropriate
• Delivering excellent customer service
• Performing other duties as assigned
• Meeting deliverable deadlines
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in accounting from an accredited university or college
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
• Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
• Minimum of 4 years of experience in preparing audited financial statements and internal management reports
• 2 or more years of supervisory experience
• Licensed Certified Public Accountant
• Experience with PeopleSoft’s General Ledger or similar ERP system, preferred
• Excellent communication and writing skills
• Advanced Excel skills, including pivot tables and macros
• Interpersonal and team building skills
• Decision making and troubleshooting skills
• Must be able to maintain confidentiality
APPLICATION: Submit a cover letter, resume and list of three professional references in a single document.
Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
We offer a competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
Cut-Off Date for Filing Applications: Open until Filled
As a condition of employment, new employees are required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination prior to their start date. Candidates wishing to request a medical or religious exemption must advise Human Resources at the time of job offer.
Link to apply: