For UCOP internal applicants, please login to the internal candidate gateway at: https://jobs.ucop.edu/
UC OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
At the University of California (UC), your contributions make a difference. A world leader producing Nobel and Pulitzer prize recipients with over 150 years of groundbreaking research transforming the world. Choose a career where you can leverage your knowledge, skills and aspirations to inspire and support some of the greatest minds in the world, and those who will follow in their footsteps. Working at the University of California is being part of a unique institution, and a vibrant and diverse community. At the University of California, Office of the President, we propel our mission through impactful work locally, in government centers and systemwide. We are passionate people, serving the greater good.
The University of California, one of the largest and most acclaimed institutions of higher learning in the world, is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research and public service. The University of California Office of the President is the headquarters to the 10 campuses, six academic medical centers and three national laboratories and enrolls premier students from California, the nation and the world. https://www.ucop.edu/about
Capital Programs provides systemwide leadership and campus support in the following areas: capital budget strategy, policy and recommendations to the regents and the state of California; capital project design and delivery strategies, policy, contract development and training; design professional selections; building/safety code and regulatory issues; land use and site planning, long-range development plans, CEQA compliance and environmental documents; sustainability; and real estate transactions.
Uses advanced planning concepts and objectives to resolve highly complex issues and provide high level expertise and assistance to senior management on all aspects of city planning, architecture and / or other related fields. Participates in the development of short and long range development plans, and proposes / recommends revisions and / or refinements, including identifying and proposing solutions to potential problem areas.
Coordination in Support of the Capital Program Serves as technical specialist and provides expertise in planning and community planning programs relating to the organization’s strategic plans. Confer with staff in State agencies and with legislative staff. Assist in their development of the State’s Capital Outlay requests, as applicable, relating to the University’s capital outlay program and supporting schedules and documents. Develop proposed initiatives, budgetary alternatives, proposed new buildings, renovations and other factors in the Capital Program.
Accounting and Reporting Perform independent research, analysis, coordination, and reporting on a wide variety of reports including proposed legislation, support documents and reports, state submissions, and as needed, bond allocations. Prepare annual reports to the Legislature, ensuring complete and accurate information timely submission, and coordinate preparation and review of other ad hoc reports or responses to the Legislature and state agencies.
Planning and Analysis in Support of the Capital Program Applies advanced planning concepts in planning, organizing, supervising and / or performs high level planning services to the Architect and location and / or University-wide administrative officers and planning staff engaged in physical, environmental and community planning projects. Support campus requests for project approvals including Regental, Presidential, and other actions or approval processes. Analyze capital outlay proposals with regard to campus’ strategic plans and capital financial program; space standards and metrics; enrollment allocations; and long range development plans. Conduct budget, scope, and financial feasibility analysis; evaluate alternatives analysis; perform due diligence on policy compliance; prepare recommendations and staff reports. Recommend and prioritize projects consistent with UC needs and objectives including program and enrollment growth, renewal and modernization, safety/seismic mitigation requirements, and criteria established by funding agencies as appropriate.
Resolves difficult or complex problems / situations related to professional work in the development, revision, refinement and / or amplification of long range development plans. Monitor and analyze project performance with regard to budget and budget augmentations, scope delivery, and construction schedule confirmation; schedule, fund, and track expenditures. Utilize reference documents such as project program guides, preliminary plans and working drawings, requests for approval, and associated documents to verify performance. Work with constituents to clarify project funding requests and prepare and justify UC responses, in compliance with University policies and procedures to support their capital programs and projects.
Supervision of Staff Supervise planning analysts and administrative support staff on project specific tasks, including: communication documents with campuses, capital planning/budget and technical documents, and coordination as needed for annual production of Capital Financial Plan items and book.
• Advanced knowledge / skills in city planning, architecture, or other planning-related fields.
• Advanced written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, including advanced political acumen. Thorough knowledge of correct English grammar, spelling and punctuation. Ability to proof documents independently and prepare documents for professional publishing. Proficient in Microsoft Word at the Intermediate level. Proven ability to organize collected information, extract pertinent data, prepare reports in various formats to present data effectively, and draft formal written narratives and documents.
• Motivated and able to work independently or under general direction. Ability to apply judgment, discretion, and initiative in performing complex technical and administrative work in a variety of subjects with minimal supervision. Ability to organize and prioritize workload, and multi-task in fast-paced environment of competing and swiftly shifting delivery requirements.
• Proficient in math, equation development, database manipulation, and use of formulas and functions in Excel. Ability to link multiple spreadsheets and reconcile data sets. Must be at an advanced proficiency level in Microsoft Excel. Ability to analyze data and materials from a variety of sources, develop valid conclusions, and present the analysis and recommendations in a formal manner to a targeted audience. Ability to keep complex records and files. Meticulous about details and accuracy of work.
• Prior experience managing staff. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain working relationships at all levels of the organization, across campuses and with external institutions and agencies. Demonstrated ability to work as a team player and collaborate effectively.
• Ability to independently interpret and apply appropriate applications of a variety of complex policies and procedures; ability to review processes and identify deviations from applicable policies or procedures; ability to learn the operations of a department as they relate to the academic and capital planning, design and construction environment.
• Experience in planning projects with a variety construction delivery methods or alternative project delivery methods (lease-leaseback, public private partnerships).
• Prior work experience in architecture or construction project management.
• Experience in the higher education sector, and/or public works contracting. Experience in a large complex organization with many stakeholders.
• A bachelor’s degree in urban planning, architecture, engineering, construction management or a related field and at least five years of experience in a position with similar functional requirements is required.
• A Master’s degree in urban planning, architecture, engineering, construction management, or related fields is preferred.
Apply at https://apptrkr.com/2724600