Reference Number: 2030937
Bellevue College is a diverse student-centered, comprehensive and innovative college, committed to teaching excellence that advances the life-long educational development of its students while strengthening the economic, social and cultural life of its diverse community. Bellevue College is located just 10 miles east of Seattle where we serve a student population of over 44% students of color and over 1,100 international students. The college promotes student success by providing high-quality, flexible, accessible educational programs and services; advancing pluralism, inclusion and global awareness; and acting as a catalyst and collaborator for a vibrant region.
Provide direct academic advising services in a one-on-one or group setting
• Proactively monitor and track student progress utilizing specific softwares, including TargetX, Degree Audit, HP SMS, and other advising tools, as well as general office technology like Word and Excel.
• Create, review and update student educational plans and proactively communicate timely updates, alerts, and reminders as necessary. Follow-up on Early Alerts for students within the caseload.
• Meet with students one-on-one in-person, via phone, or via video conferencing software, specifically Microsoft Teams
• Lead group advising sessions as needed and assigned utilizing a variety of presentation softwares, including Microsoft Teams
• Independently guide students through the process of identifying their pathway and attaining their educational and career goals. Teach students to select and sequence coursework and effectively use the tools and resources necessary for successful program/major clarification, degree or certificate completion, and college or university transfer.
• Assess student needs and apply student success and advising techniques to serve students from diverse backgrounds and, more specifically, veterans, students with disabilities, Running Start, and International students.
• Perform unofficial credit evaluations for enrollment purposes, program graduation, prerequisite clearance, and course selection, keeping in mind Bellevue College credit evaluation guidelines and policies.
• Interpret English and Math placement results, advising students on the proper course selection/sequence.
• Maintain confidential student records and adhere to FERPA guidelines.
• Approve coursework for the purpose of third party funding such as financial aid, scholarship and Veteran’s funding and for the purpose of reinstatement of funds due to not meeting satisfactory academic policy or exceeding funding limitations.
• Consult with fellow staff and outside entities to identify problems, explore solutions and alternatives, and recommend resolutions specific to student circumstances and needs. Provide collaborative and supportive intervention/outreach to students and appropriate referrals to faculty, other departments, college/university counselors.
Manage and coordinate ongoing development of advising services and process
• Write and edit in-print and online information and resources specific to guiding students toward goal identification (for example, Pathway Guides, online videos/tutorials, etc.)
• Review Academic Advising Department website to ensure information is up to date and recommend changes or updates as needed.
• Collaborate with other departments (Office of International Education and Global Initiatives, High School Programs, Disability Resource Center, TRiO, MCS, Student Programs, and others) to plan and coordinate student flow processes, as well as deliver workshops and orientation sessions related to student success strategies, Academic Advising services, tools, and program clarification and selection.
• Participate in the training of new advisors, providing one-on-one guidance and shadowing/observation opportunities. Collaborate with the Advising Team in developing New Advisor Training.
• Assist the Director in the preparation of complex comprehensive department plans, summaries, recommendations, progress or special reports, providing information specific to data and trends.
• Conduct research and analyze Department, college-wide, and national data related to advising and student success to identify program needs.
• Attend trainings, conferences, or other related information sessions when offered and able to remain current in topics such as academic and career advising best practices, university transfer requirements, and others.
• Perform other duties within the classification as assigned, including possible supervision of lower level staff providing services to students (e.g., work study students, interns, or part-time employees)
• Participate in the overall development of the Academic Advising Department, developing annual and ongoing work goals, activities and assessments.
• Provide updates and recommendations to Deans, Program Chairs, and faculty related to course management/offerings based on student needs.
• Provide professional development and training for faculty and staff members on academic advising strategies, university transfer requirements, college resources and policies, and other issues related to the student lifecycle.
• Provide technical support and guidance (via phone, email, or in person) to faculty and staff as related to Bellevue College degree and certificate requirements.
• Participate in governance, task forces, selection committees, or other groups to support departmental or college-wide goals and advocate for student needs.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution. Experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
• One (1) year of academic advising, educational planning, or career advising in a higher education setting.
• Experience working in a collaborative team environment with diverse employees and student/customer groups.
• Effective interpersonal skills in the areas of collaboration, team participation, creative problem-solving, conflict resolution, and group planning.
• Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
• Demonstrated ability to use computers for data entry, web applications, searching the internet, and troubleshooting basic computer issues.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2030937