SCUP’s regional councils are at the heart of our community and connection. Overseeing programmatic exchanges, people connections, and volunteer and leadership development, the regional councils are helping the higher education community learn more about planning at the grassroots level. Each regional council’s work supports SCUP’s strategic plan adopted by the board of directors.
- Tenure: The volunteer chair has a three-year term with the opportunity for reappointment for a second term. After a second term, the volunteer chair may serve in a different role as a SCUP volunteer.
- Volunteer time: 6 to 10 hours per month
The volunteer chair is appointed by the regional chair. This position assists members and nonmembers in their region to find appropriate volunteer position at the regional or national level.
The SCUP Regional Committee consists of a chair and membership chair, who both also serve on the SCUP Council, a sponsorship chair, a volunteer chair, and a communications chair.
- Serves as the point person to coordinate new and existing volunteers for regional activities.
- Shares and maintains Google document of current regional volunteers and members in the region who would like to volunteer.
- Develops a process for placing the right person in the right role, e.g., refers to volunteer job descriptions and uses the database and networking to find the right candidate.
- Supports the regional chair on identifying suitable regional council chairs, vice chairs, and committee members.
- Recruits and encourages participation in regional activities.
- Works closely with regional membership chair and regional chair on identifying, welcoming, training, and monitoring volunteers, and assists in the re-direction of volunteers as needed.
- Attend the regional council retreat at a location known or to be determined based on conference location; SCUP pays for transportation and lodging
- Ability to exercise your leadership, communication, networking, and collaboration skills
- Opportunities to engage in multi-disciplinary industries/positions across SCUP membership
- Enhanced engagement with SCUP members and higher education leaders in your local/regional/national level
- Exposure of you and your institution/firm locally, regionally, and nationally
- Member in good standing.
- Travel to 2 meetings annually.
- Strong communication skills.
- Knowledge of SCUP’s organization and the value of volunteerism.
- Desire to see others succeed.
- Term: The volunteer chair has a three-year term with the opportunity for reappointment for a second term. After a second term, the volunteer chair may serve in a different role as a SCUP volunteer.
- Volunteer time: Average month is 6 to 10 hours per month
- Regional conference committee meetings – as determined by regional council
- Travel: Regional Conference 1x per year at member’s expense; Regional Retreat 1x per year, SCUP pays for transportation and lodging
- Possible travel : Regional workshop/symposia
- Orientation as directed by SCUP staff
- Committee role
- Committee professional development as needed
- SCUP Staff Contact:
- Dana Wnuk, Membership and Community Manager
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 734-669-3286
- Volunteer Contact: Your regional chair