“ . . . good, clear floor plan . . . increased mobility . . . accessibility is maintained without damaging the original structures . . . ”
Mothballed for 30 years, the Old Administration Building (OAB), built in 1916, was the first permanent structure of the Fresno Normal School which later became Fresno City College (FCC), the oldest college in the State of California’s Community Colleges system. In 1974, OAB was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, but only two years later, it had to close because of the passage of new seismic regulations for community colleges. Saved by a 2002 local bond, the building reopened in 2011 after a major historic renovation, ready to meet contemporary teaching and learning demands while reflecting a past era of gracious public education architecture. A primary educational goal was to prepare students for their futures academically while retaining a link to the past by offering classes in one of the state’s most notable historic education buildings. After three decades of dormancy, this vital piece of the campus’s fabric has been restored to its original role as the centerpiece of Fresno.
ELS Architecture and Urban Design; A.T. Merovich & Associates, Inc.; Lawrence Nye Andersen Associates; The Shalleck Collaborative, Inc.; The Engineering Enterprise; OneInterface.net Network Engineering, Inc.; Darden Architects, Inc; Charles M. Salter Associates; Robert Boro Landscape Architects; Harris Construction Company, Inc.