SCUP/AIA-CAE Excellence in Architecture for Building Additions or Adaptive Reuse,
Emerson College for The Paramount Center with Elkus Manfredi Architects
The Paramount Center is an 180,000-sq. ft. mixed-use residential, academic, and performance facility, the final component of Emerson College’s new campus in Boston’s historic theatre district. To create it, the landmarked Art Deco theatre was repurposed into a full-proscenium professional theatre. Originally a lavish movie palace, the theater opened in 1932, was abandoned in 1976, and fell into nearly unsalvageable disrepair. New infill of 146,000 sq. ft. was constructed on two adjacent parcels behind the landmarked façade of the arcade building.