The Society for College and University Planning (SCUP) is a community of higher education leaders responsible for the integration of planning on their campuses and for the professionals who support them. As planners, we advocate that with a culture of planning on a campus, an institution can be prepared for the changes that will inevitably impact the students, faculty and administration. While no strategic plan is resistant to change, with the support of an integrated planning practice, a campus’s strategic execution can be responsive to change in a manner that ultimately ensures student success and the long-term viability of an institution.
SCUP’s membership of more than 5,100 individuals represents higher education institutions and private sector organizations around the world. Members represent the areas of institutional planning, academic planning, finance and budgeting, administration, institutional research, IT, and campus and master planning who are charged with planning for the future of colleges and universities.
SCUP’s mission is to develop individual and organizational planning capacities to strengthen and transform institutions of higher education.
SCUP In the News
Managing HigherEd Disruption through Planning
edCircuit, February 2017
Sustainable Campus Development
Architectural Record, November 2016
Engaging on Purpose in Higher Education
EDUCAUSE REVIEW, January 11, 2016
Topics of Expertise
SCUP members and senior staff are expert sources of information on many topics related to planning issues on campus.
Integrated planning is a sustainable approach to planning that builds relationships, aligns the organization, and emphasizes preparedness for change.
Institutional Leadership & Planning
- Strategic planning
- Unit planning alignment
- Academic Business Plans
- Enrollment Growth and Revenue Projection
- Faculty Contributions to Mission
- Department Dashboards
- Curriculum Planning
- The Delaware Study (comparison to national norms)
- Planning and Accreditation
Information Technology Planning
Learning space design
- Distance and hybrid learning spaces
Resource and Budget Planning
- Integrating planning and budgeting
Facilities, Campus and Master Planning
- Analysis of environment and understanding institutional needs
- Spaces to support the strategic plan
- Space utilization and data analysis
- Research and specialized spaces
- Learning Space Design
Key SCUP Inititatives
- SCUP Planning Institute, designed to guide and align the execution of strategic goals
- Online Journal: Planning for Higher Education, with current topics of interest
- Fellows Program
- Annual, International Conference, July
- Regional conferences and symposia, year-round
- SCUP Excellence Awards
- Higher Education Trends Report (biannual publication)
For general information or to talk to someone in our areas of expertise, please contact Kathleen Benton, associate director, strategic alliances, firstname.lastname@example.org, 734.669.3271.